• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reason for 2 batteries on 12v conversion

trooper632

After converting a M1008 to the 12 volt conversion, I was reading that only one of the batteries spins the starter if this is the case, is there a need for both batteries. What are the benifits of having two batteries, also the thread stated that there was no need for the starter relay, that you could cross the red wire with the purple wire to bypass it, I'm a little confused. I did the Roscoe 12 volt conversion because the M1008 did not have a starter or either alternator, figured it was cheaper to do the 12 volt conversion. Only difference I noticed was the starter turns over slower, it may be because the starter is made in china (crap) but didnt know it when I bought it (ebay).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dual batteries are usually required on Deisels because of the large amerage required to crank the high compression engines.

The batteries should be connected in parallel. Positive to positive and negative to negative.

The rosscommon conversion does not require that the starter relay be removed.

Bighurt

My F350 needs both batteries when its below 0°F, CCA is effected by temperature, colder the battery lower the amperage. Colder the motor longer the starter needs to spin before she starts, thus 2 batteries in anticipation of cold climate.

Not sure if this applies to Texas trucks, but here in the north, I need all the battery power the truck can muster.

M1031CMT

You need the two batteries. Pretty much all diesels (including civilian trucks) have two. The only diesels I have seen with just one battery are small ones in cars which don't require as much amperage to get started.

ryan77

You need 2 batteries because its a diesel and that motor is tighter then a bull's ass in a windstorm!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks