• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuild my 1962 M37

carguy455

rustyscrew said:
It's with a very heavy heart that I MUST sell my M37 :cry: . She is torn down to the frame and ready for someone to build her back up. This M37 was running before tear down metal is in great shape. First $1500 takes it and matching trailer. I want to try and sell her whole before I start parting her out. so if anyone is interested let me know I will give this forum first shot before I list her.
I would LOVE to buy it considering the body condition, but I have NO idea how I would get it to New England or at least to the East Coast without going broke ! Are you going to post more pictures ??

rustyscrew

I'm going to work on getting all the parts laid out this weekend so I can take more photos and then I will post them if needed. Ive already gotten a few responses.

SasquatchSanta

As someone that has built and still owns three M37s I can say that building an M37 that is capable of "half-way" keeping up with traffic is expensive.

I say this because if you plan on venturing out onto an interstate @44MPH you're going to be a danger to yourself and those around you. Even if you elect to go with 489 gearing you're only going to gain about 10 MPH and, with full canvas or even no canvas and little or no wind, the stock 6 cyl Chrysler flathead is going to have trouble pulling the 489s.

From a top end standpoint, the stock flathead will only deliver about 2500 rpm without jumping out of the frame rails which equals about 55MPH with 489s. If you try to spin the unballanced engine over 2,500 I suggest carrying around a whisk broom and a bushel basket to use for cleaning up the the cam, main and rod bearings that you'll be scattering around. :)

489's are great on level ground with a fresh engine but the minute you hit a grade you're going to wish you had a gear somewhere between 3rd and 4th. In other words --- the ratios are all wrong. M37s, great as they are, were built to keep up with the troops, NOT with traffic.

Last year I built a complete set of M37 front and rear axle assemblies, complete with 489s and front and rear lockers. The cores I used to build from were in good shape but still required a few bearings (seems like you always end up having to take a torch to one or two). Before all was said and done, I ended up with roughly $2,600.00 in the project.
This includes new high tensile rear axles, all new seals, new brake shoes and wheel cylinders, front hub spin outs and all the brass and felt for the fron knuckles.

I elected to stay with the stock drum brakes because I feel they are adequate if you keep them clean. IMHO where you have trouble with the stock brakes is when you do a lot of mudding and get gunk in them. Disc brakes are self clearning which makes them desireable if you like to get dirty. Going with an updated master cylinder might be desireable but I'm not sold on disc brakes on the grounds of inadequate brake surface area on the stock brakes.

The M37 that now has the 489s is a cut down "street rod" of sorts that I use to run around in. Even with the fresh motor, reduced weight and lack of troop seats and canvas (lack of wind resistance) I still catch myself wishing I had a close ratio 3rd gear.

I'll eventually build a install a modified Spitfire engine in this truck and the 489 power and top end problems will be over.

If I knew then, when I started playing with and building M37s, what I know now about M35s, I would have never looked twice at an M37. It's a lot cheaper (and rewarding) to make a M35 into a road worthy 4X4 than it is an M37.

In conclusion,To protect my investment and keep the resale value up, I'd build the M37 in stock military form, keeping the stock gearing and stay off the inerstate --- be safe and enjoy.

Respectuflly Submitted,

PS: A picture of "The Woogie" is submitted.

Attachments

carguy455

So would swapping in a good V8 with increased RPM's and horepower solve the lack of power issue with the 489's or should transmission modification be performed ?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go with an Isuzu or Cummins diesel swap in, with a better geartrain, to get you up to modern highway speeds. At least then you can drink better fuel than gasoline, better speed, and more possibility that you can find parts for your engine/tranny setup at the local NAPA.

carguy455

Naw, leave the crude oil burners for the Dueces , I was thinking small block Mopar , Chevy or Ford V8 gas job. just curious if increased RPM's , Horsepower and torque curves are going to present other issues in the stock drivetrain, especially with the 489's. :?:

Anybody know if there is ANY other gear options for the M37 other than the 2 we always talk about ?

SasquatchSanta

At highway speeds the M37 transfer case pulls a lot of heat which was the reason I installed 489s.

You can easily cam a 318 V8 to deliver enough RPMs to push am M37 with stock 583 gears at 70 MPH BUT the transfer case probably won't last long. The taller 489s give the transfer case a fighting chance.

I agree with the previous post about leaving the diesels to the deuces.

To my way of thinking, the sound (throb) of the old flathead engines make the M37 the unique and desireable truck that it is. A long block 251 flathead isn't difficult to install and when balanced and cammed for say 3,000 RPM it will easily pull 489 gears and deliver reasonable highway speeds.

To my way of thinking, 489 gears and a balanced and camed 251 flathead is the quickest way to 65 MPH.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks