• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuild sticker?

greatcaesar

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I wanted to know if there was a way to tell if a 5 ton or deuce and a half were military rebuilt. Did the military leave some sort of sticker or marker? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at buying a 5 ton but the gauges show 22,000 miles and over 800 hours of use. Would that be considered too much for the 8.3 turbo Cummins and Allison transmission? Thanks for any information you guys can provide!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending where it was rebuilt there would be a data plate on the engine or sticker on the dash or even inside the driver door panel..or it may not..it's all a gamble. Miles/hours are best guess. Not all trucks got rebuilt and not all rebuilds were done with care. Treat it like an old truck and look it over closely but also take it for a test drive if you can. These trucks are always a gamble to drive as they can have problems at any time (like any piece of machinery). Good luck!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8.3L is a 200,000+ mile engine if properly maintained.
Oil/Filter Changes are key.

Allison should be close.
Same with oil/filter changes.

Some on SS have had engine issues. Most haven't.
Usually it's from sitting and not being used for months, years in some cases.
Others flat out run the snot out of them. Turning up injection pump etc.

Its mechanical. Anything can happen and it's usually at the worst possible moment.

It's a good reliable engine.

Take care of it........it will take care of you.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M931A2/almost a M932A2 has three plaques on the dash, the original plastic M931A2, Another metal plaque with M932A2 serial apparently when they put the PTO and controls on the truck(don't know if they ever installed the bumper extensions and winch but they are not on the truck) Then a third rebuild metal plaque with a M933A2 serial.......LOL.... Someone goofed on that rebuild plaque, isn't the M933 the command hut type vehicle?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M931A2/almost a M932A2 has three plaques on the dash, the original plastic M931A2, Another metal plaque with M932A2 serial apparently when they put the PTO and controls on the truck(don't know if they ever installed the bumper extensions and winch but they are not on the truck) Then a third rebuild metal plaque with a M933A2 serial.......LOL.... Someone goofed on that rebuild plaque, isn't the M933 the command hut type vehicle?
That (expansible van) is the M934. I think (I am not positive) the M933 was the M939 series version of the M819. I don't believe they ever actually made any M933s.