• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding 60 amp Deuce alternator

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The searches I have done regarding this don't turn up the exact info I want. I've seen people talking about DIY rebuild kits. I assume that is for the regulator. Has anyone rebuilt an alternator on their Deuce and/or taken it to a shop with any success? I have a rebuild place in Cedar Rapids, but I'm wondering if it would be better to spend the money on a new one? Thoughts?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator assembly is replaceable, pretty straight forward. My parts guy has NOS regulators for the 60 amp unit. Bearings and rotor OK?

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator assembly is replaceable, pretty straight forward. My parts guy has NOS regulators for the 60 amp unit. Bearings and rotor OK?
They seem to be. They spin freely and there doesn't seem to be any drag that would indicate a bad bearing. Beyond that, I don't know how to tell.

Diecorpse

I would get a newer, updated alternator. They are cheaper than the military ones and you find alternators with higher amps as well. I got an AC Delco 24 volt for three fifty. I had to have a custom bracket fabricated but it was worth it. Plus you get a warranty and most local auto outlets can order them, making it lots easier. Just my two cents.