• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I wouldn't recommend changing to crossover steering unless you plan to lift or have larger than stock tires. Albeit the stock steering system is slightly unconventional when compared to lighter duty trucks or the Ford/Dodge setups, it is strong and capable of operating satisfactorily with a factory setup suspension geometry and wheel/tire combination. Turning a brake rotor only costs 10 USD here, which is significantly cheaper than a new rotor. AC Delco replacement rotor is about 60 USD. The drum replacements are very expensive, about 200-250 USD. In fact I just called the auto parts store yesterday and they told me 10 USD per rotor to turn them. My rotors and drums appear to be "virgin" so they should have plenty of room to be machined. I prefer to have the original parts anyways because even though I could get new ones from AC Delco, they would probably be made in China or Korea from poor quality cast iron.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, I wouldn't recommend changing to crossover steering unless you plan to lift or have larger than stock tires. Albeit the stock steering system is slightly unconventional when compared to lighter duty trucks or the Ford/Dodge setups, it is strong and capable of operating satisfactorily with a factory setup suspension geometry and wheel/tire combination. Turning a brake rotor only costs 10 USD here, which is significantly cheaper than a new rotor. AC Delco replacement rotor is about 60 USD. The drum replacements are very expensive, about 200-250 USD. In fact I just called the auto parts store yesterday and they told me 10 USD per rotor to turn them. My rotors and drums appear to be "virgin" so they should have plenty of room to be machined. I prefer to have the original parts anyways because even though I could get new ones from AC Delco, they would probably be made in China or Korea from poor quality cast iron.
Ok thats what i am got about the issue of crossover steering. Thanks for confirm my thoughts about it.
I don`t need to say that any other than stock tires or the lift need again a new roadapproval ....:sick:

Turn Rotor or Drums is expensive here, as in Fact a lot of are not able to do that....
I am also can`t do it myself as I have no instruction on the machines and therefore no permission to use them myself - nevertheless i can let this do by my employers department. Of course i have to pay for it ;) but this is a matter of negotiation.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer to have the original parts anyways because even though I could get new ones from AC Delco, they would probably be made in China or Korea from poor quality cast iron.
So as i am - but if you not longer can purchase original parts, you need choose others.
The truck run 135000 Miles, the rotor looking like you can use them as braille... i prefer a new one than turning this
We choosed the Centric GCX Elemental Protection Rotors - it can only be better than the old ones.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quickly created a sketch so that our trainees in the teaching department can train their skills and I get my spare part for a coffee on the side 😂

20220130_112214 (3).jpg

Reminds me of my time as an trainee. We restored our boss's Porsche in the early 80ths as a training task in mechanical engineering and locksmithing. Different jobs and challenges was always welcome beside the job.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you are no longer so limber in old age ... but your wife does not agree with your work relief:

She forced me to build a safe frame for painting otherwise she would follow me to hell to hold against me forever that she was right about work safety.

20220212_105852[1].jpg

Of course I could not risk that (y) Just fixed a simple Frame which can be separeted easy again

20220212_134006[1].jpg

So paint job can be done relaxed

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When you are no longer so limber in old age ... but your wife does not agree with your work relief:

She forced me to build a safe frame for painting otherwise she would follow me to hell to hold against me forever that she was right about work safety.

View attachment 858767

Of course I could not risk that (y) Just fixed a simple Frame which can be separeted easy again

View attachment 858768

So paint job can be done relaxed
Yeah, sometimes it is hard to admit that she's right. :cool:
She might have said "I told you so" if something had happened too.

Safety is no laughing matter but it made me chuckle to see your post.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As husbands, we know exactly when never to contradict our wives.
This was again such a typical situation.
It is funny to remember such situations not because of the facts that led to it, but because we have all experienced them.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have our preliminary road approval meeting for the engine swap on March 12.
I will of course all other necessary approvals such as larger tires and other rims, changes to the exhaust, a possibly necessary lift for the engine swap, conversion to rear disc brakes, a different steering wheel, rock side guards, yellow all-round lights, just everything that would be possible and requires road approval in Germany.
This also includes the military hook trailer hitch. It has no road approval here because the D value is missing. So I am only allowed to use it as a shunting hitch and not in road traffic.

The D-value is defined as the standard for the connecting device, i.e. the trailer hitch In addition, what is the function of the D-value?

The calculation of the permissible drawbar load is based on the D value. If this value is multiplied by a factor of 120 and divided by a factor of 9.81, the result is the tongue load that can be specified for trailer hitches
The drawbar load must also be specified individually for each trailer hitch. Often the value for the trailer hitch is higher than for the vehicle, but for driving with the trailer it must be ensured that neither the maximum permissible drawbar load of the hitch nor that of the vehicle is exceeded.
Only with existing D-value you can calculate what you are allowed to pull with your trailer purely mathematically.

I can replace the original hitch with a Rockinger, but if I can get technical documentation for the original hitch may not be necessary.
Does anyone know more about this and can provide me with technical documentation about the military hitch

Here is a PDF from rockinger where you can see their technical information about the hitch

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 kg Paint CARC black 37038 later.... and not the endfinish, the picture was taken before the last color pass

20220220_094800.jpg

In the end, the unladen weight is increased at the full inspection for road approval and thus my permissible total weight is reduced because I have used 100kg of paint on the Truck :unsure: 😇

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday i got my drums back - with an excuse as he had not do rust prevent and forgot to inform me that they are ready...
No matter - good work for just a coffee and i will do the sandblasting again

20220226_085608 (2).jpg

Today finished primer paint on cab-bottom, some frame parts and the rear axle

20220226_124120 (2).jpg

20220226_124137 (2).jpg

tomorrow will be black paint finished

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After refinishing the drums, we are now at size 13019.5 - a pretty good solution. This also means that we needed 135000 miles for them. They should definitely last another 150000 miles. Even if it is not a Sunday and fair weather vehicle or even just for "airing out", I'm still sure we won't use it up in our lifetime. 😇

Now it depends on the TÜV engineer if I will put them back in or convert to rear disc brakes right away. We will decide that next week after talking to the TÜV engineer about the engine swap. The conversion to disc brakes could well be a prerequisite for the engine swap with performance increase.

So after second cleaning we will fast paint them with heat resistant brake paint, black of course ;)

IMG-20220301-WA0002.jpg

Drums Diameter.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Respect for anyone who do this job in a smaller shop than our....
Damn is the frame unwieldy
Half a day rearranged the workshop for the next step on the cargo-box

20220305_114054.jpg

Finished Heat resistant Paint - picture just after painting, still not dry

20220305_133844.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Respect for anyone who do this job in a smaller shop than our....
Damn is the frame unwieldy
Half a day rearranged the workshop for the next step on the cargo-box

View attachment 860717

Finished Heat resistant Paint - picture just after painting, still not dry

View attachment 860718
Space to work with is really nice to have! Can't imagine how it would be to try and do this job outside...

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from our conversation with the TÜV engineer.
It is possible to get road approval for an engine swap with a variety of requirements that were explained to me. There was nothing new for me. This conversation was important but only that the TÜV engineer was included in the conversion.
So now I can go ahead with the implementation.
My son jokingly said we should reconsider the diesel engine at the current prices for 1 liter diesel of 2.35 euros ...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just got back from our conversation with the TÜV engineer.
It is possible to get road approval for an engine swap with a variety of requirements that were explained to me. There was nothing new for me. This conversation was important but only that the TÜV engineer was included in the conversion.
So now I can go ahead with the implementation.
My son jokingly said we should reconsider the diesel engine at the current prices for 1 liter diesel of 2.35 euros ...
Seems that the process on the "other side of the pond" is a little more difficult than here - like we have talked about. Getting to know your adversary in advance of any battle is the same here as there though! ;-)

Getting to know the guy will start everything off on an even footing... Who knows, maybe over time he may be even impressed with your upgrade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks