• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Germany, nothing works without forms from the cradle to the grave...
Germany has its own DIN standards alongside the ISO standards and a lot of laws
This need a big authorities department to manage that all. For that we pay our taxes and fees on anything we need their stamp on our papers.
What would we be bored without the authorities.....

And yes, you are absolutely right.
The conversation did not bring anything new to the regulations but it brought us a big step forward in the acceptance. He seems to be impressed from our project and that we talk before go ahead with it. He is now even trying to find the most cost-effective way for us in the area of exhaust emission reports. Usually this takes place only in laboratory conditions from 1000 euros upwards depending on the effort. If I get a certified performance Test Bench report from the engine in Germany, there are no problems. For all other performance test bench reports I would have to prove the certification, which every engine builder must have, otherwise the measuring devices would not be certified/calibrated.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much progress today, just only prepare the workstation for my wife next week 😇

20220313_094155.jpg

20220313_094141.jpg

worst edge is end of box left side but no hole by testing with a chisel and hammer

20220313_094342.jpg

some loss on this left edge - we will see next week how much and if i take a small sheetmetal or order a new wheel cutout sheetmetal

20220313_094450.jpg

In total well preserved for 35 years, but we must not forget he was allowed to sleep in the dry without weather influences for 15 of them

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife ask me for a new flapdisc ...:eek:

IMG-20220319-WA0020.jpg

i told her that she should ask for change if the black area remain :D ...

IMG-20220319-WA0019.jpg

My wife said its a job where you can let all your frustation gone in energy for remove rust - she didnt notice that she was over the flaps
There was also a thought about sandblasting the box but of some reasons we prefer not to gave it away specially as i want it back in one piece. I have seen how they treated the frame... it need not more dents as he had already of his armyservice

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can go on - the wait was worth it - 8 from 9 pieces of order are delivered

20220321_104547 (2).jpg

Fedex need only to search for the missing front leaf ! Nothing what you can take with you in a lunch box

20220321_102855 (2).jpg

Hopefully the last order for suspension, brake and chassis to bring him on wheels again

20220318_114659.jpg

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many people around me do not understand how i can drive such a polluting Truck with high fuel consumption at this time... especially with diesel prices of currently 2,30 Euro per liter.

My concern is rather the small tank....
Our solution 😂😂😂😂😂:

$_86.jpg

My wife says I should leave the fingers of it, but somehow it appeals yet 😇 just for fun

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Many people around me do not understand how i can drive such a polluting Truck with high fuel consumption at this time... especially with diesel prices of currently 2,30 Euro per liter.

My concern is rather the small tank....
Our solution 😂😂😂😂😂:

View attachment 862458

My wife says I should leave the fingers of it, but somehow it appeals yet 😇 just for fun
I like it!

Might have to rob a bank to get the money to fill up that tank, but it might get you to work and back several times :cool: Maybe you could offer up that you are considering another version of the truck that will be battery powered when you finish this one...

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Agreed 100%

And, I am pretty unlikely to ever buy a battery powered car/truck.

Although, with this bunch and the creativity here - It might be incredibly cool to see a battery powered MV towing a generator trailer - charging the batteries going down the highway. That would be about as close to perpetual motion machine as you could get...

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny answer from Fedex Germany yesterday of the missing leaf spring:

.....Then the box must have lost the label in the sorting machine....
Sent us a picture how they look like that we can search for unlabeled boxes.

"Head cinema": unboxed leaf spring in sorting machine...... :3dAngus:

20220324_123738 (2).jpg

20220324_123652 (3).jpg

😇 My advice with the pictures: look for an unboxed heavy bulky steel package. It is a part of a truck suspension.

German Word "Feder" = Feather, Spring, Nib =============> a picture says more than words 👍

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard told me these don't go through the sorting machine. They go past it manually.
this will be impossible on a sorting machine 👍 it was just a funny introduction
the Fedex Distributor doesn't know what it is and that it was sent unboxed.
There is movement in the search... i got a phonecall today: they could narrow it down to the station in Cologne

For years we have always had a lot of forwarding and also parcel service deliveries. There is actually nothing that we have not experienced. Also of course with lost deliveries. And since I have local contacts here, tracking is also easy. Only, of course, a loss on import is much more annoying than a loss nationally. The shipment is insured so no financial loss, just a loss of time - we waited ten weeks.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife finished today the preparework on the ground of the cargobox that i can paint it next week.
We will first finish the work on the ground turn the box again and take care of the visible surfaces
I have eliminated the rust pitting and welded it. It was so little that a complete wheel arch was not worth it

20220326_085226 (2).jpg

After I have sorted all the spare parts for the reconstruction, I realize that I have of course forgotten something again.
But my wife reminded me, it is not forgotten but put back because we wanted to wait whether a rear disc brake is mandatory when replacing the engine.

However, we know since two weeks that we do not have to change, so it could have long been ordered...
Then let's see where I now get the fastest new wheel studs.

20220327_094029 (2).jpg

Price in Germany 7,90 Euro 1 Stud (ONE) front and 8,90 Euro 1 Stud rear, 1 Wheelnut 3,70 Euro = 387,20 + shipment - i think i can wait until it is shipped from USA 😂

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always try to clean and reuse as many original and OEM parts as I can. Some things, I know, just aren't available anymore, but many times NOS parts are available on Ebay. Let me know if I can help source some things and ship them to you.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always try to clean and reuse as many original and OEM parts as I can. Some things, I know, just aren't available anymore, but many times NOS parts are available on Ebay. Let me know if I can help source some things and ship them to you.
I know that this wheel studs will be reused.
We decide not to do as we know how we remove and how old they are.
We are just checking now the sources in USA to compare with costs here.
Thanks for your offer to help

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dorman offers a lot of wheel studs

the one which match with ours and the NSN are these

Front no problem, rear seems to be a bit more difficult
Specially if you want OEM Quality but finally ordered and ETA shall be in 5 days fedex economy not express.
Hopefully they dont lost this package as it is a lot smaller than the leafspring
They are still searching

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fedex had searched everywhere and can't find our leafspring aua
That mean it must be sent twice from the vendor.
In the worst case we wait again 10 weeks or longer

Complaining doesn't help, so let's get on with the project.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fedex had searched everywhere and can't find our leafspring aua
That mean it must be sent twice from the vendor.
In the worst case we wait again 10 weeks or longer

Complaining doesn't help, so let's get on with the project.
Well, for whatever it is worth - UPS isn't any better. Honest to goodness, they would lose themselves if they couldn't walk around on their own two feet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks