• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding FAV #91

signalcorps

A little more done this week. I removed the radio basket and fuel tank to get access to the rear frame. If anyone needs photos of anything on the frame now would be the time. Just let me know what you need.

Spent a couple hours this week sanding and primering. Working my way to the back.

Attachments

signalcorps

Last week I cleaned, sanded and painted the front backing plates and bolted them up, Then added the wheel cylinder and adjusters. I hope to get the new shoes and spring kit installed soon. I will try to press the new TIMKEN bearings in the drums this week and finish up the brakes.

I actually had 2 whole hours of real work on the FAV this week. I managed to get the front suspension back together including the steering shaft, bearings and wheel. Also installed the new rubber dust shields on the original WRIGHT rack and pinion box. I guess that is something.

Attachments

signalcorps

I actually got a full day to work on my FAV and it was a good one. The rear suspension is done except for the shocks. The trans axle is in and shifter working. I cleaned and mounted the fuel tank and installed a new sending unit. The engine I have is a 1835cc with lightened flywheel and deep oil sump. Heads have 40mm SS valves. I installed the new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Waiting on new engine studs to come. Dont know what I did with the original set. Should get them Monday and the engine can be mounted. Next I sanded and painted the radio basket and installed it and the dual air filter assembly. I received the new front 5 inch wide wheels and ordered tires. They will be in on wednesday. It is getting there slowly.

Attachments

signalcorps

Installed the engine and cut off the strange square tube brackets that were next to the seats. Not sure what they were for. Perhaps side seats that sat in the basket. Ground down the welds and it looks ok. Also bought new wheels and tires for the front. FV came with spindle-type 4 inch wide wheels and sand tires. I put General Grabber All Terrain tires on 5 inch wheels similar to what originally came on the FAV. I went to Metal Supermarket in Orlando and got the 2x2 and 4x2 steel tubing to build the top weapon mount.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the engine and cut off the strange square tube brackets that were next to the seats. Not sure what they were for. Perhaps side seats that sat in the basket. Ground down the welds and it looks ok. Also bought new wheels and tires for the front. FV came with spindle-type 4 inch wide wheels and sand tires. I put General Grabber All Terrain tires on 5 inch wheels similar to what originally came on the FAV. I went to Metal Supermarket in Orlando and got the 2x2 and 4x2 steel tubing to build the top weapon mount.
PLEASE plug those holes in the engine, a nut/washer or any other foreign material gets in there the engine could be toast!!

Crapgame

This is the bracket that I cut off on each side. It was welded really well to the frame. Took a lot of work to cut and grind these off. Anyone have an ideas what they were for?
Do I see a horizontal hole through the center? Somebody used it for some kind of quick release type accessory. There is a similar box hitch type accessory bracket bolt to the rear bumpers of some SF Ground Mobility Vehicle GMV HMMWV, used mostly for a spare tire carrier:
M1165hmmwvGMVanon (15).jpgEuro GMV1.jpg

There is also an accessory kit of a similar construction used on the Maintenance and EOD Shelter Carrier heavy variant HMMWV.

Last edited:

signalcorps

Do I see a horizontal hole through the center? Somebody used it for some kind of quick release type accessory. There is a similar box hitch type accessory bracket bolt to the rear bumpers of some SF Ground Mobility Vehicle GMV HMMWV, used mostly for a spare tire carrier:
View attachment 915420View attachment 915421

There is also an accessory kit of a similar construction used on the Maintenance and EOD Shelter Carrier heavy variant HMMWV.
That makes sense. Also has the small hook eyebolt for a safety chain or to attach a cable to the pin for the hole? Could be it.

Crapgame

That makes sense. Also has the small hook eyebolt for a safety chain or to attach a cable to the pin for the hole? Could be it.
Was this another former Wackenhut Security/Nevada Test Site Security Car? With the rear wheels mounted on the car, would there be space on each side for a spare centered where each of the receiver mounts were?

And in the movie "(The) Delta Force" were there spare tires or something else mounted in that B Pillar area on the FAV they used?

One of the Nevada, AZ or NM area FAV has racing seats mounted in that B Pillar area.

The 9th ID Korea "Team Spirit" deployment XM1041 TOW FAV have a 5gal military fuel can mounted in that area. Or it is that NBC Decontaimination device that looks like a 5 gallon MFC, and I see an NBC M-11 Decontamination Device hanging off the strap holding the MFC/Decon Device :
Team Spirit XM1041 TOW FAV 5 gallon MFG B Pillar.jpg

This device, I can't remember when this was adopted, I was trained on the smaller nitrogen cartridge powered M-11 fire extinguisher looking device you see on the above FAV.
M13 NBC Decon Device1.jpg
9th ID was the high tech test bed unit, they could have been field testing the M13 during the Team Spirit deployment

Plus the XM1041 TOW FAV has that unique almost U shaped cargo bin around the engine bay so the Gunner can sit in the center.

Last edited:

Crapgame

The 9th ID Team Spirit Korea deployment photo of the XM1041 TOW FAV performing overwatch of the tank bridge crossing has the best visible detail of the TOW-unique rear cargo bin, but not clear enough:
XM1041 TOW FAV Bridge OVerwatch.jpg

signalcorps

I started working on the dash. The center pod where the light switch and engine protection system go was cut and replaced with the boat switch plate. I am going to build a new plate and put a new original light switch in. Did anyone reproduce the engine protection plate or have a spare they would part with?

After sanding some the paint off the dash, the OD Green paint came thru and some of the letters of the name of the crew for FAV #91 came thru too. So far it looks like SFC PAL.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks