• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding my engine

DDWilson

I have been working on my M1123 that I got last year. I pulled the engine to find that one of the heads was cracked and must have leaked water into the cylinder, then cracked a piston during starting. The block and crank look new so I have them being checked out at a machine shop I was thinking of going with Promaxx heads. Does anyone know if there is anything different on the military engine from the mechanical standpoint that I need to look for something specific or will standard 6.5 heads work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your engine is GM then I wouldn't mess with it. If it's GEP then get the newest US cast heads you can find. Since you have it apart, now is a good time to put the turbo heads on it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I can add is the turbo heads have a different bolt angle to the intake bolts, the ProMax sets I came across have both styles, for the price they look pretty cheap for something you can just bolt up and go with, I have no experience with these, wonder where they are made?

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your engine is GM then I wouldn't mess with it. If it's GEP then get the newest US cast heads you can find. Since you have it apart, now is a good time to put the turbo heads on it.
you still would not be able to add the OEM turbo, the milling process wasn’t completed for the oil feed in the block, and many times nor was the holes drilled for the turbo mounting. You would also have to figure out how you were going to install new exhaust manifolds And pipes.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone on this forum turbocharged his na engine and did a nice job IIRC.

Maybe posted 8 -12 months ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks