• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rebuilding wheel cylinder?

jrobinson5093

I got in my deuce today to move it under my shed to fix a busted hose. It is the one right behind the oil filters. When I went to move it I noticed the brake peddle went almost to the floor before it stopped. I got out and looked and it apears that I have a Busted wheel cylinder on the right front tandom. :(My question Is it worth it to rebuild a wheel cylinder or better to just buy new ones. And is there any part store that might carry a cylinder or offer a kit. If not where is the best place to get one. And what size is the short coolent hose right behind the oil filters?

3dAngus

I keep a NOS wheel cylinder and two rebulid kits in my emergency repair kit. It will go in a toolbox specially fit for the M105 bed in the bobbed truck I'm having put together. The parts, both wheel cylinder and rebuild kits are available on your favorite auction site and it has the best prices.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the peddle didn't go to the floor, you don't have a busted wheel cyl. There is no way to tell if you can rebuild any wheel cyl till you have it out and see how badly it is pitted. The rest of the cyls will be in the same shape, so if one is bad, so are the others.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've rebuilt many. As long as the bore is not pitted, they are an easy rebuild. To do it right you will need a hone. If you're asking how difficult it is, you probably don't have a hone. If you add the cost of a hone to the rebuild, you can probably get wheel cylinders for the same price.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+3 on replacing the wheel cylinders; they aren't expensive. I honed on one that didn't look too bad for about 15 minutes (should have only taken about a minute) and it wouldn't clean up good enough to make me happy.

Replace all the flexible brake lines too. They rot from the inside out.

3dAngus

I had to go back and verify, but I paid $20 for a new old stock wheel cylinder, and $9 for the kit. I'm not sure if it is easier to NOT take the wheel cylinder off and hone, or replace, so I bought both in case of emergency on the road.

You should check with the tech manuals or these experienced guys as to what would be easier to do in an emergency situation while on the road. And if you don't have all your tools, drill and hone while on the road, you definitely have to change out the wheel cylinder. I haven't honed out a wheel cylinder in 40 years. I couldn't tell you how much longer it would take to change out a cylinder, but I would also think there is an increased chance of rupturing an old brake line. Guess I better get some of those too.
t