• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rec4x4, DD-M108 questions

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some questions for the guru's about the M108/M60

1) How many were built?

2) How many would you estimate are still around?

3) What years were they built?

4 )Were they ever repowered by the military to A2?(multifuel, air transfer, spring seat)

5)What TM's do I need for the gasser, and crane?

6)When running the crane, if I move the controls slow, the engine will slow and the pressure relief will open before the crane moves. Move a little more and the crane will move, engine picks up speed. I think this is normal, but isn't what I am used to.(get to run hyd. cranes at work). On the other cranes, the pressure relief works only when you run out of stroke on a cylinder, or lift something way too heavy.

The more I look at the truck, the happier I get.
Only modifications I've found are:
Extra slave receptacle for 12v
Steel lines replaced with hose to crane controls
Couple pieces of steel tack welded to crane deck
Rear lights replaced
Spotlights replaced
Wrong rims/tires on front axle
aftermarket sparkplug wires

Things missing, 2 outriggers, sheave block, and some lights.(That I can remember)

Was thinking of a mulitfuel engine for the truck. After running it some, and seeing how complete everything is, I plan to stick with the gasser. Already used the crane 3-4 times to move stuff, more handy to have around than I would have thought.

Thanks!
Dennis

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can only answer a few of the questions and I'll do that now. I have no idea how many or what years they were made. I've seen Reos and Studes only. Seen 51 to 55 thus far, I think Rizzos is the older one and the M60 was later in the production. As far as TMs look for TM 9-8022 for the basic truck and TM 9-8023-5 for everything crane related. You can also use the 1965 versions of TM 9-2320-209-10, -20 and -35 too. None are available on disc that I know of. I can think of a dozen or more still floating around and Lord knows how many forgotten in fields and barns. I've never seen a gov't repower but RDM says he thinks he has. I've never had my relief valve open but the multifuel has more torque at idle I believe. What RPM are you running the engine at? If the cable operated governor is working you are supposed to engage the pto and pull the throttle alll the way out and the governor sets the RPM at 1700 in 5th gear. Since I have the OD 5th I run my crane at about 1100 RPM and it works good. Partial hydraulic engagement will lug the engine somewhat. All in all a great truck and handy as heck at the house.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To check the relief, hold the boom control lever down when the crane is already all the way down.(might pop a hose if it's already going bad)

Tried the governor, don't think it's working. With the PTO running, the engine revs beyond 1700, using the throttle cable.

Been using third or fourth gear most of the time, about 1200rpm's. The engine lugs down too easy in 5th, unless I have it revved up to 2000 or so.

Where could I get the manuals then?

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 8022 shows up on Ebay from time to time. The 209 stuff as well. The 8023-5 might be tough. I'll dig.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, between $500 and $15,000 depending on who was looking. Pls advise if you can. I can't afford it but would love to have the info about it and pics of it

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I am now in Dayton, far from home. Kenny seems to have covered the bases though. IIRC the governor set up on the M108 is different from that of the standard gasser. Since your truck seems to have had a few minor mods - check that your governor is correct.

Reading accounts of evaluators and vets - the M108 was notably smooth and easy to operate as built, so I suspect a relatively minor problem.

I should have some basic production info - but not all-encompassing. Been looking for my production data for another fellow for a month or so - haven't found that box yet (moved early this summer) - still looking when I am at home.

Glad to hear you are keeping the gasser.

No to series goverment repowering/air shift/spring seat, though I suppose its possible that this was done at unit level.

DD

Cooltex24

I just found a crane truck tonight in the newspaper, has a pic of the boom extended, but not much info, i think it is a M60, but not sure, will call tomorrow.
Scott

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the TM9-2320-209-10-1, 1HR, 2, 3 and 4, and TM9-2320-209-20-2-1, 2 and 209-20-3-1, 2, 3. I can post them here or copy my discs and send them to you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, all of those are on the site now. It's only the 1965 series that has the gasser and crane info. I have the manuals in paper and one day will get them into PDF somehow. Dennis, follow the link at the bottom and see what this guy has. Don't fool with the parts manuals dated 76, we have those on the site. The other 3 dated 65 all have stuff related to the gasser and the crane. This is cheaper than reprints. DD and ACE will certainly say they like the TM 9-8022 better but it doesn't have much more than these. The TM 9-8023-5 is the humdinger on the crane but very rare. I was lucky to find one for $40. If you're on a budget I'd start with the -10 and-20, they are the most useful.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Manua...71742QQsatitleZtmQ209Q2d2320Q2d209Q2aQQsofpZ0

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The governor is intact, so either the cable drive broke, or someone adjusted it. I bought the manuals off ebay. Found someone in germany that has the rare crane TM, trying to contact him.
I am always on a budget!

Dennis