• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recap on "cold weather starting"

ichudov

I would like to start this thread to discuss cold weather starting of NHC250 and CTA8.3.

I have trucks with both. Tried starting them at 25F.

The batteries were fine.

I had to use ether assist. The NHC250 started with difficulty, after maybe a minute of cranking, whereas the CTA8.3 started in 10 seconds.

But this made me wonder, what happens at 10F? 0F?

And if ether does not help, how can I start the truck expeditiously, without using engine block heaters?

Can I use a torpedo heater to heat the engine block in a hurry? I am sure that the Army and humanity in general has great experience in starting diesels in cold weather, and wanted to learn a little bit about that.

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
My 931a2 tractor doesn't like the cold weather but it still starts at 30 degrees my 923a2 cranks right up like its 70. I haven't tried them at really low temp yet so only time will tell. I have had several different trucks with the 8.3 turbo motor that have different starting habits. There is a grid heater in the intake instead of glow plugs maybe some grid heaters work better than others.

Today I went out to try to start my m925a1 and the batteries were dead. :cry: I only have 2 batteries in it and at 25 degrees thats not enough juice to turn over the engine. I even charged them each for one hour and that didn't help. I guess I am going to need some new batteries and hopefully a block heater.

ichudov

Today I went out to try to start my m925a1 and the batteries were dead. :cry: I only have 2 batteries in it and at 25 degrees thats not enough juice to turn over the engine. I even charged them each for one hour and that didn't help. I guess I am going to need some new batteries and hopefully a block heater.
You need four good batteries for starting that 250 engine in cold weather.

You need four good batteries for starting that 250 engine in cold weather.
I will probably switch over to four batteries or 2 large ones. I still haven't decided which to use yet but I know the set up I have right now is not working. The only reason I had the two batteries is because that is what the truck came with and it seemed to work ok up until today.

corvette9

I just started my 936A2 after sitting in 20 degree weather all weekend. It fired right up with no ether. I installed a block heater but did not plug it in just to test how it would start cold. I run two batterys. I have block heaters in all my diesel trucks. I think it is the best way for cold temps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be loosing fuel prime.

2mtrucks

Yesterday it was 17 degrees here. My M923A1 started in about 3 second with no smoke, noises or missing. Of course it had been plugged in for about 90 minutes! Best $70.00 and 2 hours I ever spent. (10 minutes to install heater, the rest to drain and refill 47 qts. of coolant). If you have an A1 and access to electricity its the only way to go. But this obviously was not an option for the military or designers of this truck and I am curious also as to whether you an start these trucks unaided by block heaters at 10 or 0 degrees as well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With more than one truck, I always start the easiest starting truck first, then slave the other one. It helps alot. Especially with an NHC-250.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I went out this morning when I got to work it was around 22 degrees and my 923a2 fired right up. it grumbled for a minute then smoothed out and was fine. I will go out in a few and try the a1 and see how that goes

Triple C

I have found that with two batteries in my 925/NHC250 about 45 degrees is as cold as it will start without an ether boost. I don't use the ether system, I lightly spray ether into the intake so it has time to disperse and it seems to help. In single digits, it takes the block heater though, no question about it. There really doesn't seem to be any way around having enough heat or cranking amps though so no real tricks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I just started my 923a1. It took a good 30 seconds of cranking before it caught then it stalled and I had to crank it for another 10 seconds and it started and I set the idle and it was fine.

crewcab454

I used my block heater on my 250 for the first time last night. 32f here and it started like it was 70f. they are well worth the money.

jwaller

The 932a2 I had came with a block heater and 2 oilpan pad type heaters on it directly from the military. It's not in any tm but the motor pool knew it was a good idea and it had them.

10MMGUNNER

M923 A1 1982, Block Heater is the best way to ensure that a diesel without glow plugs or intake heater will start. I run A towing company in minnesota and all the trucks with diesel engines are pluged in no matter what they are equiped with, it is without a doubt the easiest on the engine.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I follow the cold weather instructions on the dash of the M814. So far, they have never let me down.

aheilmann68

My 923A1 did not want to start yesterday at all, I was lucky if the starter turned the motor a full revolution. Ether in the air in take did nothing since the motor was barely even turning over. Batteries are decent the truck is just reluctant to start under 40. Has to slave the running Mep002a to the truck to top the batteries off and put my 5kw resistive heater loadbank under the block. 15 degrees out an 15mph winds did not help but after an hour and spraying ether into the intake vacuum gage port and she lit off. Ordered up a block heater so that will go in this week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks