• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Receiver Hitch

Spyderman

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but I ain't touching it!
"A boat is merely a hole in the water to pour money in to" That's the joke. The LMTV is hole #2.

The other one is "the 2 best days of owning a boat - the day you buy it and the day you sell it" Hopefully that isn't the same with a LMTV.

Last edited:

dsanderlmtv

"A boat is merely a hole in the water to pour money in to" That's the joke. The LMTV is hole #2.

The other one is "the 2 best days of owning a boat - the day you buy it and the day you sell it" Hopefully that isn't the same with a LMTV.
The joke about the boat might be right but I don't ever see myself saying that about my LMTV, I guess I got lucky with my truck or maybe I just enjoy problem solving. So far this thing has been a blast.

jcee

I've never seen a project as a hole to throw money into. It starts as a dream, turns into a wish, turns into a plan then becomes a project. When finished it's an achievement.

Fortunately my wife never questions my hair-brained plans as she sometimes lovingly refers to them. Occasionally there's a eye roll, but never has she said no. I attribute all of this to me having the last words in every argument or conversation. Those words are, "yes dear."

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once worked for a family owned foundry where the multi-generational ownership had a passion for sail boating... yes, even here in west Texas where deep water is hard to find they had over the years owned several fixed keel yachts up to about 40' in length.

The then vice president of the foundry would often declare that around his house, HE was the Captain of the Ship!
However, he also sheepishly admitted that his wife was therefore the Admiral of the Fleet, which inherently ranked his mother as the Commadore of the Navy.

As for being a "money-pit".... I often thought that the only reason they maintained the 120-man foundry operation was to support their floating addiction.

Keeping this post on topic...

Since there are no boat yards with hoisting equipment for launching their yachts, they always trailered and ramp-launched their fleet. In order to keep their dually pickups out of the water at the boat ramp, yet still needed to be able to get the deep-keeled vessels to float off the trailer's cradle and back on for retrieval, they designed and built extraordinarily stout and specially configured receiver hitches.
But the real kicker was a trailer design they ingeniously fabricated with a multi-stage telescoping tongue that could extend an additional 80' from it's towing position!!!
The tow vehicle never got it's bumper or rear tires wet!

Ukraine Train

I used a hitch off of a Ford 550 and a 10" dropped ball.
I was getting ready to do this setup and just realized I have an extra frame member under my pintle hitch. Mine is an A0; yours must be an A1 judging by the driveshaft flange on the back of the differential. They must have redesigned the frame. I'm just going to weld a tube to the bottom of that frame member, like someone else posted earlier. I had even found a nearly new hitch at the pull-a-part but luckily didn't have tools with me to pull it off.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you guys seen these floating around the internet (not mine)? I think they were even on eBay for a while.

d883f92bbac69ecafe347fcacc06cac5--truck-mods-excursion.jpgb58043acbfeb9a3427bdcc35c588ed2b--receiver-hitch-excursion.jpg

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like he was a good friend. What is the vertical plate on each side attach to on the chassis?
Yes he was definitely a good friend, we always messed with military trucks together. The vertical pieces on both sides go to the pins that attach the D rings to the truck. The bar in the pintle hook it still is a bit small, but there is little to no slop in the hitch. Then when you install the two bars going to the frame it has almost no movement. It pulled great to the Denton rally about 350 miles round trip.

Hotpuppy

Have you guys seen these floating around the internet (not mine)? I think they were even on eBay for a while.

View attachment 729577View attachment 729576
Haven't seen that before, but it's a good mechanically sound design. Should be good for Class 3. Maybe Class 5. Class 3 is 5K Class 5 is 12K.
I think the key is to remember that the weakest link in your towing setup is the limiting factor. If you have a 3K Ball on a Class 5 rig, you still have a 3k limit.
There are also torque and twist factors to consider when using any sort of extension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks