• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recentered HEMTT wheel install

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....................Unlike the 14.5s they are crappy tire. I would suggest everyone that has them on there trucks to replace them when they can..................
Sorry but I strongly disagree; actually that size and type of tire is the best you can put under ANY Deuce (or Unimog) IMHO. (I have more than one truck running on Conti's, one set done many K-miles already, with excellent results so far)

.... unless of course you're referring to the surplussed XLs out of the early M35A3s: I've found that most are either overaged (3digit datecodes!), or been overheated from running too low on TP, or dryrotted, or permanently deformed from standing flat for months, or everything combined...!

So I guess you need to be more specific before doing such a generic statement...:?;)

G.

Last edited:

ApopkaFL

Banned
Sorry but I strongly disagree; actually that size and type of tire is the best you can put under ANY Deuce (or Unimog) IMHO. (I have more than one truck running on Conti's, one set done many K-miles already, with excellent results so far)

.... unless of course you're referring to the surplussed XLs out of the early M35A3s: I've found that most are either overaged (3digit datecodes!), or been overheated from running to low on TP, or dryrotted, or permanently deformed from standing flat for months, or everything combined...!

So I guess you need to be more specific before doing such a generic statement...:?;)

G.

That is the ones I am refering too. The Early A3s 14.5

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still confused about the different tire sizes we can use on the recentered Hemtt wheels. Could somebody list them. Just in case you would have to switch at some point. that's a big investment to be stuck with one size tire.

Thanks

Ron

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still confused about the different tire sizes we can use on the recentered Hemtt wheels. Could somebody list them.
Suitable tire sizes, currently being surplussed by the US-Military:

• 15.5/80R20
  • 395/85R20
  • 14.00R20
  • 16.00R20
All of them are specified to be mounted on 20x10" (industrial) wheels.

G.

goldwing2000

Banned
I also found that spraying down the wheels helped as well. Once the bottom half is lubed up drop the tire over the wheel. Next install the o-ring. I also lubed up the top plate of the wheel as well. I'm telling you, soapy water is your friend!
Did ytou use anything besides soapy water to lube the o-rings themselves? I was thinking of using some sort of silicone lubricant to keep them from pinching or drying out.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did ytou use anything besides soapy water to lube the o-rings themselves? I was thinking of using some sort of silicone lubricant to keep them from pinching or drying out.
Just soapy water. The wheel squeezes the O-ring into a Triangle shape. So long as you don't stretch it out and cause it to "pinch", you'll be fine.

redhedbronco

Trying to insert duece centers into titan rims. These centers go to the larger diameter of the inside of the rims. Both are 19.5" and a press fit. Figure I can gain .040 just taking paint off of titan rim. Still looks tight. Has anybody accomplished this and how large(tons) of a ram did it take to press in? Could turn centers down slightly but to keep the .035 tolorance for DOT, figured pressing them in would be closer. But not easier. red

Attachments

Last edited:

redhedbronco

Apologize, wheels were sold to me as hemtt rims by a gentleman in MO, they are titans and I am unfamiliar with the variations. Regardless, needed 20" wheels.

Last edited:

rolling18

I'm very pleased with these wheels. Much more than the A3 wheels I had. Kevin did a great job with them. If you need wheels, give him a call!

I've picked up new axle seals for the rear of my deuce. Maybe this weekend I'll get the rear hubs flipped and the wheels/tires installed.

Thanks Kevin! :driver:
how much were the wheels?
shipping?

Trying to insert duece centers into titan rims. These centers go to the larger diameter of the inside of the rims. Both are 19.5" and a press fit. Figure I can gain .040 just taking paint off of titan rim. Still looks tight. Has anybody accomplished this and how large(tons) of a ram did it take to press in? Could turn centers down slightly but to keep the .035 tolorance for DOT, figured pressing them in would be closer. But not easier. red
Did you ever make any progress on your wheel(s) project? I think originally the rims were heated and the centers where frozen before they were pressed together

Gunner0311

So-to summurize...

In summary: Is the modified HEMTT wheel, converted to "six lug bolt pattern" from
Kevin the only true source for duece wheels when mounting oversize tires?

Any other options for ready to mount wheels when trading in the 900x20 and
going "large"???:driver:

Maxgussam

I just used the instructions in this post to mount a 14:00 tire on a HEMTT wheel after removing a nail from the tire.
It worked beautifully!
Thank you for the great information!
It sure made the job easier!

redhedbronco

Did you ever make any progress on your wheel(s) project? I think originally the rims were heated and the centers where frozen before they were pressed together
Nope, all toys on hold for now. Process makes sense for interference fit but my fridge and oven arent large enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks