• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recentering rims

DanzboysM1009

I have a 1985 M1009 with the stock steel rims on it and I just like the old original look of my steelies, unfortunately, I hate the narrower look of the rear axle. If there's one thing I'm OCD about it's that. I thought I'd buy a set of 1.5 in spacers and put them on, but when I took it for a test run, one of the lug studs broke off. I used a properly calibrated torque wrench to set everything. When I called the manufacturer he said that no matter what I did because of the raised rim area of the rim that I would continue to pop studs off because of the flex of the steel rim combined with the flat mounting surface of the spacers. I'm looking for a cheap way to get the look I want and one way is to re-center the rims. Does anyone have a set or know where to go near Suffolk, VA to get them re-centered? What other options/ thoughts do you have? I could get a new set of rims with a different offset in the rear, but that would be more expensive than I want to go, plus I lose the stock steelie look. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LCDR Dan

DanzboysM1009

Another thought was to just get wider rims. Here's what I figured so far...

If I go with a 15 x 10 in the rear, what backspace would I run to get it to look right?

If my calculations are correct, I need 1.5 inches on each side. The 15 x 10s are 2in wider per side and the stock backspacing is 4in. If I go with 15 x 10s with 4.5 inch backspacing, I should be about right, correct? Let me know what you think.

LCDR Dan

Mikey90744

wider rim in the back then the front will look as good as 2 different tire sizes, if your ocd about the track youd HATE that one Id think.

I dont know what the rims look like but why not just go buy a 2 new ones for the rear with what ever offset it takes to put the tread where you want it?

and aftermarket steel wheels are like 50 to 75 a wheel as I recall , probably a lot cheaper then welding and balancing an existing whele

DanzboysM1009

That's currently the direction I'm thinking of heading. Just ordering all new rims with the differnet offset/ backspacing for the back. With that being said, if the current rims have a 4in backspacing, if I get rims with 2.5in backspacing that will push them out the 1.5in I need on each side and get the look I need. Now to start looking for some rims.

LCDR Dan

Mikey90744

other thing to think about is GM built these trucks with the front track a little wider for a reason, be it traction offroad (Ive been told that but doubt it) or (more of a consern) turning radius with the front leafs. just be careful if your bringing the front end in

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks