• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recently retrieved non-running no brakes deuce from a nearby pasture.

icecreamman

She was driven from DRMO in Montgomery,Al. to Decatur, Al. and parked for five years. We did get her started using a gas drenched rag. Lots of fuel smoke when started but good oil pressure and air pumped up.

The fuel is crap and I broke off a Craftsman breaker bar trying to remove the plug from the fuel tank. I used the lift pump to pump out the crap diesel via removed primary filter and then replaced the primary filter and secondary filters (one on the left was missing).

She will allllmost start. Any ideas?

A running moveable vehicle would quickly make the brake thing go away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Check the fuel shut-off rod for free movement first, then check to make sure the hydraulic head plunger goes up and down.

icecreamman

@USAFSS-ColdWarrior---It's a lot easier to move the beast about under her own power. I'm having about a 30x50 shop with two 12x12 rollups built in the back yard about the first of March. This was one something I sort of backed into.

I was offered more than I thought is was worth for my first Deuce I bought last year. It was a '54 Studebaker? minus the bed and a couple of other things. I planned to bob it but decided that a stock one would be more useful for me. A friend has a bobber and wishes he had a full size to haul logs for a log cabin project. We can swap out for weekends when needed. He's very particular with his truck and I'm sure he would be with mine.

I'm a former USAF cold warrior. Does the AFC 46350 mean anything to you?

gimpyrobb

There is a bolt in the center of the hydraulic head. The injector lines surround it. Pull it out, insert a wooden dowel, have someone turn on the power(fuel will flow out, so be ready for it), and crank it over. You will be holding the dowel and seeing if the plunger goes up and down.

If it does not, your plunger is seized and try tapping it lightly down.

Sometimes the "button" falls off the bottom of the plunger and you have to pull the hydraulic head to re-seat it.

FloridaAKM

You pulled that out of a pasture? Was it under a cover, out in the pasture? It looks to be be in really good shape from your pictures!

Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Academy, pull up a chair & read your TM's on your truck.

There are alot of good men here who can advise you on many issues you may have with the truck. Enjoy!

icecreamman

@FloridaAKM, She was in the edge of a pasture under some Oak trees. Apparently there were five at one time. He flipped the other four and said he kept this one for himself because it was the nicest? (I kind of question this because he said the rear main was leaking and the clutch was slipping on the way in. ) The undercarriage is perfectly clean. The transmission is unpainted and has a red haze. The compressor is unpainted. The front six tires and the spare are matching Mohawks? with tabs. The back four are 90%.

This whole encounter was sort of strange. I met John at Home Depot. He was driving a perfect tricked out m1010. PURRRRFECT. I told him I could pull him out with my stripped down '54 deuce if he got stuck. I doubled my money selling the VFD truck by selling to a wrecker service.
I then bought a really nice looking non running no brakes truck.

icecreamman

@Gimpyrobb----I might have some help tomorrow to try to do what you said with the hydraulic head.I'll disconnect the lift pump so that I hopefully won't be tasting diesel. If it is stuck, how much force is acceptable to not break anything breaking it free?

gimpyrobb

The plunger rides on a "lobe" like what you would find on a cam shaft. Tap it firmly, but don't wail on it. I like to apply downward pressure on the dowel and start light so I can tell if it moves. If not, you might be on the peak of the lobe, try turning it a tad more. If memory serves, it might move up and down a quarter inch, but certainly not more.

Jeepsinker

You might as well just pull the head. You know your going to have to anyway. Order a set of HH o-rings from Welldigger for a few bucks and get it all out of the way.

icecreamman

I think I like Gimpyrobb better than Jeepsinker:)

I'm sending a pic of the front. I wonder if there is a way to get the mold growing on the front fenders to cover the entire truck. Talk about some awesome camo:)

Attachments