• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recomended torque converters for a 6.2 turbo

deepseeman

Hey all,
Im pulling the tranny on my blazer and was wondering if i need to upgrade my TC from the stock one. I have a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo set up on her. Any recomendations?

cliffyp

Why are you pulling your transmission. Is there a problem with it or the torque converter? If its in need of a rebuild then its a good idea to replace your TC while you're at it since the trash and debris from a blown tranny will also have contaminated your TC. If you replace it, DO NOT get a high stall speed converter. I have a 1700 in my 700r4 and that's the highest I would put behind the 6.2. The lock up converter for the 700r4 kind of negates the higher stall, but the TH400 doesn't have a lock up converter so a lower stall speed would be better.

deepseeman

The reason im rebuilding my tranny is because i hadve the following symptoms and ha e made the following repairs.

Symptoms;
Weak and slower than molasses off the line.
If at a stop on a hill i get high rpms and little movement. Slippage?
Shifting once was firm, now soft and at times needs to be coerced with throttle play.
Took it to a shop and they said it was suspect.

Repairs;
Fluid, filter change *note* fluid smelled a bit burnt on the change
New modulator
New vacuum lines

I will add that when i pulled the access plate last night the TC was very warm to the touch. I only drove it to the car wash and back. Less than 10 miles.

I would appreciate any thoughts as im lost when it comes to trannys.

cliffyp

The shop said the TC was the culprit, not the transmission?

I'd be concerned about the transmission, specially if you have burnt fluid. I'd be hesitant to buy a new converter, then fry your trans and get all that crud into your new converter.

As to your converter being hot to the touch, internally the converter is probably the hottest part of the transmission. Even in a properly functioning TH400 there is always slippage inside the converter, all the slippage translates to heat. Internal temps could easily be 200+ or higher.

I'm not trying to say that yours doesn't have a problem, it may be on the way out. If your fluid is burnt then I'd be worried about the condition of the clutches and seals in the trans as well.

deepseeman

Understand all. Thats why i was doing a tranny swap. The shop said there was something wrong, just not what was wrong. I was going to replace my TC since i had the tranny out. I was wondering if there was a specific one i should by as i have added a turbo. I heard that allisons were good, but those are big bucks too.

cliffyp

Others may have a different opinion, but I wouldn't think it would matter much. TH400s were stock setups behind plenty of other engines that through out a lot more power. I don't know that it would be worth going for a high dollar converter unless you are really planning on abusing it. Heavy towing or serious 4 wheeling where you where building up excessive heat. You'd probably be better of taking some of that money and putting in a trans cooler to get rid of all that heat.

Just make sure you get a low stall or your not going to be happy.

Skinny

Sluggish off the line indicates a slipping stator inside the converter which will require a rebuild or a replacement. Especially if the trans works fine at higher rpms.

deepseeman

well, I pulled the tranny and had quite the issue with the tranny vendor, they sent out the wrong tranny blah, blah, blah. so here it is on a sunday afternoon and Im putting the tranny back in and little voices in my head were questioning the TC that they gave me. they sent me a recon gm6, but after doing research, I think I need the gm6h. the 6h has stall at 1700-1900 while the 6 has it at 1300-1600. which stall speed is correct?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What gearing are you running? I'd be more inclined to use the lower stall speed. The diesel can pull it. And on the upside, since these transmissions aren't a TCC'ed setup, you'd get less heat/slip at crusing speed.

deepseeman

so I am so freakin frustrated with this tranny gig. first off, thanks to the replies. so I just jumped back under the truck to button things up on the tranny after getting reassurance that the TC was correct. I go to put on my access cover and it doesnt fit. the bell housing doesnt even have the holes drilled in it. i definitely didnt look for that when it was dropped off. is that a big issue? can I roll without it?

wayne pick

so I am so freakin frustrated with this tranny gig. first off, thanks to the replies. so I just jumped back under the truck to button things up on the tranny after getting reassurance that the TC was correct. I go to put on my access cover and it doesnt fit. the bell housing doesnt even have the holes drilled in it. i definitely didnt look for that when it was dropped off. is that a big issue? can I roll without it?
That's really strange, there should be threaded holes, I think 3/8 NC or 10.5 MM to mount the cover. You can run without the cover, but if it's driven through the desert, the cover should be in place. Run the truck and determine weather the trans runs and shifts properly before you address the cover issue. Not to Monday morning Quarterback, but you may have been better off having the original trans rebuilt. From what I understand, The TH400 is relatively simple and cheap to rebuild and it could be customized with an inexpensive shift kit or a pricier upgraded valve body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks