• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommendations for Hard Top - what to go with?

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is safe and doing well!

I am at the point of my M1123 project that I need to decide what type of 4 man hard top and slant back to install.

I am planning to use the Humvee very often, almost as a daily driver.

So my question is: What hard top should I install? Should I go with the original OEM hard top and slant back path? and why? or any other ones like the Plan B aluminum hard top that I like as well for example, considering that anything but the military one would be better with water leaking into the cabin.

This is a big expense so I am trying to take the best decision here that would be the smartest.

Please explain if you can why I should go with one or the other.

As always, thank you so much for all the help! Looking forward to get some helpful information.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe this is the aluminum top and it’s 25% off until the 25th. I don’t think you will find a oem top for less than that. Might not be what you are looking for but it would get you a top. I want a 4 door hard top but I don’t want a slant back because I want some truck bed.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would strongly suggest that you avoid installing a turret, because they leak like a sieve. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe this is the aluminum top and it’s 25% off until the 25th. I don’t think you will find a oem top for less than that. Might not be what you are looking for but it would get you a top. I want a 4 door hard top but I don’t want a slant back because I want some truck bed.

thats a stripped roof, another $7k or so to make it complete

I am pretty sure I don't want the turret. Just the hard top w/o the hole. SECO has them but I would need to spend much more on the slant back + sponsons
hardware parts for it and I will have to get the C pillar for the hard top and change my B pillar.. more money..

I know it's going to cost me this way or another :(

I am thinking Plan B has the hard top + slant back, comes with everything needed, all hardware, and would be cheaper than the OEM.

But what about the OEM top leaking? Rust? I understand Plan B fixed all the leak issues.

I love the look of the OEM on the outside but the inside is rough though. The aluminum ones seem more clean on the inside.

NOT sure what to go with...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my 1987 M1025A 1 rig, I’m considering a Plan B Aluminum top. There is no central seam and my current top is rusting and rotting because I live in a salt ocean climate.

AAVP7

Unless the Plan B top is made from special seawater resistant aluminum, it will corrode in a salty coastal environment. Regular aluminium is resistant against normal air humidity and rain, which (inshore) is practically distilled water. But at the shore, the salt in the air will attack regular aluminum. Just sayin´.

Last edited:

country

Supporting Vendor

I think I will go this route! I love the military top and slant back. May not be perfect but is strong.
I do want a top I would be able to somewhat stand on and it won't get bent. The aluminum ones are not built for that. Also, I am looking to mount the Red Dot AC on the slant back. The Plan B one and other ones would need some modification and not going to be simple. May need some reinforcement so it won't damage the slant back.

I think OEM it is for me after all!

Action

I think I will go this route! I love the military top and slant back. May not be perfect but is strong.
I do want a top I would be able to somewhat stand on and it won't get bent. The aluminum ones are not built for that. Also, I am looking to mount the Red Dot AC on the slant back. The Plan B one and other ones would need some modification and not going to be simple. May need some reinforcement so it won't damage the slant back.

I think OEM it is for me after all!
What do you mean the aluminum tops are not built to stand on? Maybe not aftermarket roofs.
OEM aluminum roofs are 1/4” thick and very tough. I have jumped up and down on mine. It is solid. And you can put another 1/4” on top of that with the overlay.

What do you mean the aluminum tops are not built to stand on? Maybe not aftermarket roofs.
OEM aluminum roofs are 1/4” thick and very tough. I have jumped up and down on mine. It is solid. And you can put another 1/4” on top of that with the overlay.

Yes, you are totally right! The aftermarket ones are not really built to stand on.
But, how do I find the OEM aluminum one? Does it looks exactly like the metal OEM one?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you are totally right! The aftermarket ones are not really built to stand on.
But, how do I find the OEM aluminum one? Does it looks exactly like the metal OEM one?
An OEM aluminum roof will require you make the decision on what rear setup you want, M1165 rear wall or Sponsons and rear hatch. You will Be into it all for probably more than you paid for the truck.
I have installed quite a few of them…this was an M1152.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks