• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recommendations for restore

ohiohmmwv

This question must come up every 5 minutes...hopefully this isn't too annoying and someone will give me some ideas. I'm planning to completely tear things down and start sand blasting and repainting all the frame, suspension parts, etc of my hummer this winter. I'm thinking of going for a flat black look on the frame so that I can touch it up easy when necessary. Can someone recommend a good primer and top coat that comes in larger quantities so I can spray it with a spray gun, but also that would come in aerosol cans so that I can do quick jobs of small pieces when necessary instead of pulling out the sprayer? I live in Ohio so something that can handle all the salt they put on the roads would be great. Is it economical(or overall effective) to do something like galvanizing then spraying paint over top?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For top coat I am using Sherwin Williams Kem Lustral F65B50 Wrought Iron Flat Black, sprays great and is the same flatness as CARC. Krylon ultra flat black aerosol touches it up nice.

Careful you get all the sand out of the frame rails or bad rust can happen.

Jzallan

The best primer I can think of is A PPG product called DP90. The 90 is a flat black urethane primer. DP40 is a flat green. There are other colors also. This is a very durable product. It is on the expensive side, but well worth the investment!! Don't go cheap on this!

Lonnie

PPG DP is great stuff. A Gal of DP40 & 2 Qts of hardener just cost me $275 though.
I used 1/2 of it priming a Deuce bed so if goes pretty far.

Ray70

As suggested above, PPG's DPLF line of Epoxy primer is the best way to go, however its a bit pricey. Check your local paint supply shop and see if they carry PPG's Omni line of automotive paints. The Omni Epoxy primer is much more economical and also made by PPG. As for topcoat I've used POR 15 and Chassis saver in the past with mixed results and a large dent in my wallet:-(, the last project I used SEM Rust Shield, it is only about $100 a gallon with the activator ( always use the activator, although not required per the instructions) it is available in 3 different levels of gloss and it goes on super thick but lays out smooth. I used the standard black with the activator and the gloss turned out to be about a semi-gloss. ( using the activator will increase the gloss as well as improve durability ) I heard that flat black with the activator would yield a satin finish, but my shop didn't have the flat black in stock. The instructions said to put on 3-4 coats for best protection. I used a full gallon plus the activator and 10% reducer and only got 2 coats on an F250 underside from the rear of the cab forward. Frame, floor, suspension, plow frame and what not. 2 coats looks much thicker than when I sprayed 3 coats of POR 15, so I left it with the 2 coats of paint and 2 coats of epoxy primer under it.