• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommended spare parts for MEP-701a/016B??

MidKnightBomber

Without having complete doubles of every part on the MEP701a/016b generator (Onan engine) are there certain problematic parts that you would recommend that I should probably begin now to find/buy/have on hand?

I would hate to have to look for them in a rush.

Thanks for the tips in advance.

W7DMS

i'll try to answer your question.
1. fuel for 150hrs. maybe use your home heating oil tank, if you can.
2. lube oil 2-3 changes
3. filters 2-3 sets
4. small 24v battery charger to plug in when the oem unit fails.
5. ac voltage regulator. if nothing a replacement transistor for Q2, i have replaced Q2 on my 701 with a nte 87 transistor.
6. complete unit from (HILL AFB) cheap parts unit. injector or pumps cost more then a unit.
all of the above is just an old mans opinion!
good luck

lloyd

Isaac-1

There are not that many common weak points on the MEP-016b, having a spare DC battery charging regulator might be nice as these are somewhat failure prone (voltage goes high and cooks the battery), but they are rather expensive at around $100 when you can find them. Having a spare Q2? transistor for the AC voltage regulator board is probably a good idea also, this is an easy to change socketed transistor, and typically cost less than $10 online.

MidKnightBomber

Yeah I figured I would get spare filters and oil but I'll have to read over the TM to figure out what you mean by Q2 though. Is the Q2 part of the AC voltage reg or is Q2 the actual voltage reg.

I assume eBay is the preferred most likely source to find these parts?

Isaac-1

Q2 is the a transistor that is part of the voltage regualtor box, should be easy to spot in the TM. Generally ebay is a good source for these parts, but the transistor can also be bought from my electronics mailorder shops like Mouser, Digikey, Newark, etc.

MidKnightBomber

Thanks Lloyd and Isaac, since both of you are pointing at the voltage reg and/or Q2 transistor I will definitely look into getting a spare.

Just like On my old 1977 dodge I have spare parts that are prone to failure and "can be" hard to find in a pinch (such as voltage reg and ECU). I have found that tactic valuable on occasion so figured I would do the same but needed this advise.

This is the type of info I was looking for and appreciate it.

If you think of any other parts that would be good spares, let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks