• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recommended spare parts list.

majorhavoc67

I spent many years driving the HMMWV's while in the army but driving them and paying to maintain them out of your own pocket is obviously two very different thing!

For those of you that already have your own HMMWVs for a while. what would you recommend having on hand as far as spare parts before I buy one in the next few months? Starters...Alternators...Radiators etc. Are there common failings of parts that most people need to replace at some point? Any input would be most appreciated.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry way too many spare parts. - Starter (overkill), Waterpump - major work to "field replace", all liquid filters, and many more......
Definitely carry a set of good tools. Small hydraulic jack (Test it to make sure it has enough lift to lift a tire/axle).
But what I have had to replace while in the middle of nowhere were minor items. See below.
1 fuel lift pump, old one just stopped pumping.
1 starter. Solenoid started to go bad, but was able to get home before replacing it.
1 TPS going bad, but was able to reset the TCM several times until I got home.
2 fuel filters, after getting some bad diesel at a Safeway in Wyoming. Filters decided to plug off with bio sludge 100 miles out in the country. Lucky I had two spares.
Can of ether starting fluid to pop a tire back on the bead. If you don't know how to do this have someone show you before you blow yourself up. (The small compressors don't put out enough volume to seat a bead).
Duct tape, electrical tape, spare fuel hoses, hose clamps, u-joint, extra oil, tranny fluid, water. - Just in case.
I usually perform a thorough check of everything before I go on a major excursion, and it's kept me out of trouble so far.

Last edited:

majorhavoc67

I carry way too many spare parts. - Starter (overkill), Waterpump - major work to "field replace", all liquid filters, and many more......
Definitely carry a set of good tools. Small hydraulic jack (Test it to make sure it has enough lift to lift a tire/axle).
But what I have had to replace while in the middle of nowhere were minor items. See below.
1 fuel lift pump, old one just stopped pumping.
1 starter. Solenoid started to go bad, but was able to get home before replacing it.
1 TPS going bad, but was able to reset the TCM several times until I got home.
2 fuel filters, after getting some bad diesel at a Safeway in Wyoming. Filters decided to plug off with bio sludge 100 miles out in the country. Lucky I had two spares.
Can of ether starting fluid to pop a tire back on the bead. If you don't know how to do this have someone show you before you blow yourself up. (The small compressors don't put out enough volume to seat a bead).
Duct tape, electrical tape, spare fuel hoses, hose clamps, u-joint, extra oil, tranny fluid, water. - Just in case.
I usually perform a thorough check of everything before I go on a major excursion, and it's kept me out of trouble so far.
Thank you. All good info!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only need the ether to seat the tire bead if you aren't running military tires with beadlocks.

if serpentine belt system, the bearings for the idler pulley are relatively easy to swap out. I've had 2 different trips where the bearings failed, and fortunately had the tools on my to pull the pulley off and then someone to take it to the local auto parts store where bearings were on the shelf. Also had spare serpentine belt in the truck both times, as that's less likely to be on the shelf.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks