• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering a HMMWV, debating trailing vs driving it back, what should I look for?

smashcrashy

I acquired a street legal M998 via ebay as it was going for a very good price and local to me.

I read fast but I still don't have enough time to soak in all the HMMWV TM's to level of understaing I would need before Friday so I am asking here.

I have the option of driving ~15 miles back, seller has 30+ HMMWV's and has said it will be fine. With a bit more work, time and money I can get a trailer and haul it back. I am leaning towards driving it back at the moment (my time window is limited on the pickup day which will ensure something will go wrong) but want to know what to look for both during the inspection period and driving it around the lot and once I get going on the road.

TIA

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's always best to trailer an unknown vehicle but sometimes it's not feasible and 15 miles isn't very far of a drive.

Just make sure you're insured and licensed if you decide to drive it home.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhh, got it from Dave.
S/B fine.
Check fluids, check the half shaft bolts , 24ea., check the brake lights.

smashcrashy

Was that the one that Army Trucks R Us had on ebay? If it is what direction do you need to go with it from their yard?
Army Trucks Inc, yes. Going to SFV, probably going via Sand Canyon to Placerita down Balboa, if things are looking good I may bring it all the way home to Simi otherwise it'll be in storage in North Hills.

KansasBobcat

I acquired a street legal M998 via ebay as it was going for a very good price and local to me.

I read fast but I still don't have enough time to soak in all the HMMWV TM's to level of understaing I would need before Friday so I am asking here.

I have the option of driving ~15 miles back, seller has 30+ HMMWV's and has said it will be fine. With a bit more work, time and money I can get a trailer and haul it back. I am leaning towards driving it back at the moment (my time window is limited on the pickup day which will ensure something will go wrong) but want to know what to look for both during the inspection period and driving it around the lot and once I get going on the road.

TIA
I agree that 15 miles is not very far. However, if this guy has 30 HMMWVs he must have a trailer or tow bar and expertise to transport it. I would negotiate with him to deliver it It worked for me on my last purchase and it was 1400 miles away!

smashcrashy

Back home safe and sound, easy peasy. Speedometer isn't working and fuel gauge isn't working (I stopped by the gas station, tank was full, thanks David!), everything else looks good. Speedometer should just be a cable issue correct? There isn't any electrical needed for that I would think.

smashcrashy

He had a very nice 4 door soft top CA legal one for a decent price, I might just do that! OK, I won't really but the wife loved it taking a spin around the neighborhood