• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering an M923

68hunter

Just wondering how to tow/recover and M923 if it breaks down or won't start. My biggest concern is getting the air brakes to release to make it mobile. Any help on this & tips for boosting the 24V system would be greatly appreciated!:idea:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First you are going to need to find a vehicle the same size or larger. Another 5 ton will do. Then get the operators manual for the M939 series trucks. There is a section on towing & recovery of these vehicles. There are several options/configurations that can be managed, it all depends on the tow vehecle's capabilities.
You will need the correct tow bar, air lines, tools and support to be successful.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get out your plastic doom card (with high limit) and call a big truck wrecker if you don't have an adequate tow vehicle and equipment. Better safe than sorry.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Releasing the air brakes is as simple as caging them.

Without air lines from the towing vehicle the towed vehicle then has no brakes. It *will* push the towing vehicle around. Optimally you want the towing vehicle to be much heavier than the towed vehicle, as this offsets the tendency to be pushed.

You can jump a 24v system from two 12v systems. Be cautious as doing this wrong can result in badness. Optimally you'd slave off of another 24v system.

The nature of your question leads me to believe you have zero experience in this type of activity. The safest course of action is what is suggested above: Call a towing company that has the necessary equipment and experience. $700ish in tow bills beats thousands in damage to your vehicles or tens of thousands in liability......

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

68hunter

Thank you for all the great information! Any one have suggestions for what to carry in my emergency tool kit? Or can point me to post that has already discussed this I tried searching & came up short!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search for "recovery tool list" (without the quotes) and there are a number of threads with suggested items. On my last adventure, I also needed a set of triangles, flashlight and reflective vest for my safety in the middle of the road at night.

Chief_919

Are you getting a known truck from a private sale or dealer, or a GL purchase?

The two call for somewhat different approaches.

68hunter

We actually have the truck home now. We are thinking of in the future if something happens when we are out on a trip.