• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery 2.19.09 of our first m1009 at Jefferson City

Screamer27

A few people asked for pictures of your m1009 at Jefferson, City, well I know alot of you guys like looking at pictures. We left at 5am in Des Moines, and drove straight down to Jefferson City, arrived right at 11am. Got there and the main guy was at the doctor so another guy took us to the lot. He's driving an old m1009 thats rotted all out with a convoy light deal on the side, and we arrive to find tons and tons of duece and a halfs, along with probably 80 m1009's and 3 m1008's, a few m109's and a nice 5 ton expandable shop van. Any way, we first pop the hood, and see both alternator belts are brand new, but very loose. I tightened them up, and checked all the fluids. The fluids all looked great, opened the glove box to find an original TM for cucv's along with a booklet showing all the fluid capacities for the CUCV's. Also in the glove box was the original letter sent out to the National Guard places, saying that it had to be turned it by August 8th of 2008. In with the letter, was another sheet of paper saying the vehicles last full service (fluid changes) date was August 1st.

The guy helping us was really cool, and let us go over it a little bit checking things out. All the tires look great. The spare still has the nubs on it. It has 2 newer DEKA group 31 batteries in it. We opened up the back of it to find the original stencil's in the back, saying TP45, MONG, PAD, and a few others. Come to find out why the vehilce was so clean was because it was a Public Affairs vehicle, they said that it rarely if ever actually saw offroad use. We happily jumped in, fired it up, and drove off. It drove great the Entire way to Des Moines, 340+ miles. Got right up to 75 for a stint or 2. Only 2 things that we noticed with it. The volt gauge doesn't work, it is pegged at 0. Yet, neither gen light comes on except key on. hopefully a loose wire or a bad gauge. The other thing that is very odd, when takeing corners, its like its in 4wd, it kinda skips across the pavement. Both hubs are unlocked, I locked them and unlocked them multiple times. I was wondering if it may be the Gov Lock in the back, and somebody didn't fill it with additive last time, so I'm on the fence about that deal. Anyway it pulled 18.9 mpg on the trip back, and thats alot of 45-75 mph running, with the majority at 65+ It actually pulled the same mileage as our 2002 GMC Envoy. We are very happy with it and you guys will be happy to hear, he originally bought it to use as a plow truck, but after seeing the shape that its in, it would be a disgrace to abuse it like that, so it will be restored, and driven in parades, along with being a driver.

Ok, I know, that was pretty lengthy, we are just excited about it.

Attachments

Screamer27

Whats bad is I only live 2 miles from Camp Dodge, Johnston, IA. I drive by the base all the time, and I know they have a crap ton of m1009's coming to auction, but they all have body rot, like you said, you can see the pavement through the rust holes at places. My only complaint with this one is at 75mph you about need ear plugs with all the road noise ;)