• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery lessons learned and Not

ohnuts

Take two batteries its worth it. Take fuel filters and extra gaskets. Take a large tub that holds ten gallons like the ones you pack xmas lights in. If your oil filters blow they make great catch tubs to hold the five gallons of oil in the pan. Draining the pan leaves the filters empty and a whole lot easier to work with.

The oil filter gaskets fit into a slot at the botttom of the base where they insert, makes them look too big for the hole, they fit.

I would leave the oil filters alone until after the recover unless they leak. The fuel filters I would drain and see what comes out if they are clean then leave them alone. Filters that are water logged wont pass fuel so clean may not mean working. If you can waite until you are some place safe and you can let your truck set for awhile to tackle filters.

If you see a splash problem that looks dry, and old, don't assume it was fixed and went away. Just blew the third set of oil filter gaskets, cans may not be true on the sealing edge, dropped at some time. Still chasing this gremlin but the truck has a lot of old collected spray under the hood? Somebody else was chasing this problem to?

The Brake master cylender was not really that hard to open. Use a short box wrench and put the open side on the cap and run a small bar down thru the floor opening and into the boxed end of the wrench and lean on the rod. The cap opened right up. The tms say to really watch out for dirt so take starting fluid to blast the crud off of and around the master cylinder before you open. Also make a small funnel and hose say 3/8 dia to pour you brake fluid in with. A short hose eight inches worked great.

Looked over all the grounds cables and connections on my truck. Looking for a light isue, the left then the right would dim. Take a meter and test between the three sockets on your bulb. If each of the three sockets does not have a resistance to each other replace the bulb.

Dont expect the maintenance to be done correctly. Remember the average age in the military hovers above 18 and below 22. My headlight on the right side was miss wired. The headlight on the left was burnt out. The fuel canisters had one inch of mud in each, the vents on the bottom wouldn't drain until hit with a sandblaster and a pick. Seems no draining before driving had been the buisness for some time.

One air line fitting had the ferrel crushed into the splice connector. But the ferrel was not on the airline and had never been.

Was hand over checking the lines looking for worn and rubbed wear holes and pulled a line right out of it's long nut.

The two lines were under such presure against each other, that they could have leaked for years. Left alone it was a small thing except if road trash had snagged the line or some brush would have pulled one line back, total failure.

The fuel filter leaked because the guy who last changed the filters failed to place the fiber washers under the bolt that holds the cans on.

Instead of putting on your spare have the old tire repaired and a tube installed. Had mine done for forty dollars, the same as labor to install the spare.

I did a Redstone recovery that was ten hours with this truck. I think it should be named the learning truck. First thing learned was don't buy a truck without a springer seat.

Getting ready for my Camp Dodge recovery of a van truck. Everything learned is one less thing to fear.:)

Attachments

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great write up, thanks. My thought is that your next recovery will have completely new issues to deal with.

Sounds like you rolled with it very well.

Rick

mistaken1

Glad to hear you made the recovery although sorry to hear of so many problems.

God was looking out for me as I bid without preview and arrived at the lot to find a well maintained truck.

May your next recovery be less challenging.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Just sold a truck over the weekend. Told the guy that before he left, he should stop by Wal-Mart and get some comfortable hearing protection and a good cushion to sit on.