• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of a Wounded Soldier

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, with the help of M1075 and M813A1, we where finally able to bring our wounded soldier home. It only took three trips........

Last week, M813A1, myself and another Deuce owner made a trip to Greenbrier, AR to bring home some GSA goodies. A M818, M52A2 and 2 M1009s. We made it back to Oklahoma and had a blowout on the M52. We thought that the front brakes where binding and caused the tire to blow. We left both 5tons overnight and came back the next day. Changed the tire, adjusted the brakes and made it ten miles before the tire blew again. We knew it was a bad wheel bearing. We had to leave the M52 behind and start planing the third recovery.

Do we try to fix the bearing in a parking lot without all our tools? Do we pay for a wrecker to bring it home 75 miles away? Or do we bring out the BIG TOYS????

What would you do?????

The choice was easy.......BIG TOYS!!!!!

The trip out and back was uneventful. The fellowship was priceless.

Thanks James and David.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnK-2e34jz4[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_3aeujuvo[/media]

Attachments

M813A1

Hey Joe !! Had a Great time !! That is All 3 times ??? LOL !! I am Glad we got the M52 home before the rain !!! It just show what a SteelSoldier can do with a little Planning and Help !!! Will do again anytime !! I now understand why KaiserM35A2 wants a wrecker !! LOL !!

M1075

This was the first time I have used a whiffle tree. Here are some pics of the setup. Did we get it right? All input appreciated.

Attachments

papercu

Glad it worked out for you. Great Job.
BTW I've never used one but from reading on the SS site the whiffle tree is mounted on the bumper shackle brackets and not the shackles themselves but on your pictures it looks as if the bow in the whiffle is in the way?
Seem as if someone from here had a picture posted of the other way, anybody have it handy? Wayne

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....BTW I've never used one but from reading on the SS site the whiffle tree is mounted on the bumper shackle brackets and not the shackles themselves but on your pictures it looks as if the bow in the whiffle is in the way?
Seem as if someone from here had a picture posted of the other way, anybody have it handy? Wayne
There is no way to mount the tree to the brackets. The pins are in the wrong direction. Here is the link to Crash_AF's pictures. He is using the shackles also.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/22055-wrecker-toys-er-tools.html

area52

So the shackle goes into the whiffle tree bar and the pin goes through both? Thats what it looks like to me.

Great pics and recovery guys!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upon closer inspection of the Manuals, this setup is correct.

TM 9-4910-593-12&P Towbar Manual
TM 9-2320-260-10 M809 Operator's Manual

Another interesting read is

FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations

All of theses are in the Tech Manaul Section on the old website.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimmcld

Looks like fun, but you didn't cross the safety chains....... Also, you didn't use the "V" shaped bar on the wiffle tree, the one that pivots just below the large hole for the hook. Does anyone know what that is for?

area52

Did you guys disconnect the front drive shaft? I would assume when the front is in the air and the rear is turning faster, that the sprauge would kick in and power the front tires?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We removed the driveline at the first rear axle. It was the easiest one to remove.

Last edited:

KsM715

Where does one get one of those "vehicle in tow" signs? I would like one of those for the back of the Jeep when I tow it home with the deuce.

M1075

Where does one get one of those "vehicle in tow" signs? I would like one of those for the back of the Jeep when I tow it home with the deuce.
I got mine made at local fast sign store. About 40 bucks a few years ago. I also have convoy signs and they all see a lot of use and abuse (it shows). I guess I could hav taken better care to keep them from gettig scratched up, buy I like the motor pool look.

hoopsoft

Nice job!

Couldn't have been a cheap trip anytime a 5 ton gets broke out.
I noticed the digital camo's there, trying to look official were we.. ;-) Best for a hassle free trip!

M1075

Nice job!

Couldn't have been a cheap trip anytime a 5 ton gets broke out.
I noticed the digital camo's there, trying to look official were we.. ;-) Best for a hassle free trip!
Yeah, everything looks official until you hook onto a 20,000# fire engine red truck! rofl

jwaller

Did you guys disconnect the front drive shaft? I would assume when the front is in the air and the rear is turning faster, that the sprauge would kick in and power the front tires?
only if you hook air to the truck being towed. and it looks like they didnt hav e air to it.