• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of a Wounded Soldier

M1075

only if you hook air to the truck being towed. and it looks like they didnt hav e air to it.
We were prepared to hook the air lines up, but the emergency glad had from the red tractor was missing/broke off. I guess that is something else to carry extra in the toolbox!

m816

Looks correct to me and you guys did a fine job on the recovery. Yes the front wheels sometimes turn when the sprag kicks in. It is not a problem since the wheels are off the ground. No need to remove the drive shaft. Its a military vehicle just put the transfere case in neutral. I've towed M52's and 54's all over the world that way with no mishaps. Old 543's were a little light on steering with loaded trailers. so turns had to be negotiated carefully

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Looks correct to me and you guys did a fine job on the recovery. Yes the front wheels sometimes turn when the sprag kicks in. It is not a problem since the wheels are off the ground. No need to remove the drive shaft. Its a military vehicle just put the transfere case in neutral. I've towed M52's and 54's all over the world that way with no mishaps. Old 543's were a little light on steering with loaded trailers. so turns had to be negotiated carefully
This is why the MWO, it is a air cutoff to the trans poppet valves, dumping the air puts the sprag in neutral, even putting the xcsae in neutral the sprag will kick in if the rears are turning and the front is not because the H/L shift lever does not affect the OUTPUT shaft which engages the sprag.
The front wheels turning even on a lift tow may cause MORE damage if the reason for the tow is the front end, or a wreck. with air going from the wrecker to the towed 5ts system, the sprag is active. At times the towed truck could not BE MOVED till the shafts or axles were pulled, this took time (time could mean a target). The MWO took away the need to drop any drive shafts or pull axles other then a broke rear, a lot faster grab and go, safer as well because no one has to be under the truck to pull shafts, also no open hubs to get crap in because of pulled axles.
As simple as this MWO is, it does not seem that it was done military wide, but was put out there, then done unit by unit, with some doing it, others not ???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks