• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovery of my fresh Laundry Unit

Nonotagain

The problem with the mobile laundry units is the amount of water required to run them and that the washer, water extraction unit and dryer require 3 phase power. The replacement units recycle the water while the M85 needs 100 plus gallons of water per hour.

The M1061 trailer usually brings $1200-1500 when sold on GL. A clean MEP-003a generator with low hours is another $1500-1800 so any other items you manage to sell off are just profit.

If it were me, I would donate the washer, extractor and dryer to a homeless shelter and take the tax write-off. Unless you really need one of the units for replacement parts, donate what you don't need and move on.2cents

I have purchased a couple of these units (M85-100) and the only items I kept were the trailers, both generators and one of the trash pump water pumps.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jbingvtx, Yes it is a M1061E1 trailer. I love the feet, handles 10K in weight. One thing I wanted to pass on to you is in backing up. I'll attach a picture with a circle on it.
When backing up this trailer, it is wide and slow. Not at all like a boat trailer or something. The M35A2 has some bumper protectors or whatever is pictured on the back and you will quickly turn the truck into the A-Frame of the trailer with these rear protectors. Under these protectors are hookups for safety chains where Harold hooked up to. I don't know the real name of these so I send a pic and maybe someone can educate me as to what they are called. Overall, you would be very happy with this trailer, I'm sure, but it depends on your needs. Bed is about 14' and it is heavy but strong as a tank.
As already mentioned, the first item you describe and "circled" are BUMPERETTEs. They are, for all intent and purpose, the back bumper on a Deuce and a Half, 5-ton, etc.

The second item would be the SHACKLES used for tow chains, anchor points when the truck is transported by trailer or ship or aircraft.

Hope that helps.

John

A

A/C Cages

There is no bumper in those bumperettes. Ive smaked mine into a Ram Charger, no bump at all, just CRUSH. Took out the entire rear part of the Ram Charger.
Its ok, I plasma cut off the entire rear section of the Ram Charger and made it a mud truck.

Bumperete my butt. Crusherette is more like it

A

A/C Cages

3dAngus
I would love to buy that off of you, or one like it. That trailer or a bolster trailer is just what I am looking for. But I just have no way to go pick them up. Im stuck here and the only deuce I have that could make the trip is under renovation right now.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bumberettes are a "crush zone" rated for the protection of the truck's frame in consideration of ITS mass.

Relatively, they are intended to protect the truck from FRAME DAMAGE when contact is made with an obect of GREATER INERTIA - i.e.: a SOLID object or HEAVIER vehicle.

With regard to contact with objects of LESSER inertial potential - i.e.: smaller vehicles - the theory stands that the smaller vehicle had better have adequate protection from SOLID or HEAVIER objects.

I apologize for the minor hijacking of this thread....
...We now return you to our regualarly scheduled topic.

A

A/C Cages

So in laymans terms,
Big truck hits it gives a little.
Little truck hits, huh what little truck? You mean the speed bump?

3dAngus

3dAngus
I would love to buy that off of you, or one like it. That trailer or a bolster trailer is just what I am looking for. But I just have no way to go pick them up. Im stuck here and the only deuce I have that could make the trip is under renovation right now.
Maybe someone going to the Florida rally or Richloam moving South could pick it up in Middle Ga. for you. You're not far from Orlando. It might be right in their direction.

I would need advance notice somewhat in order to strip off the assets though. You only wanted the trailer, I presume. As far as trailers go, they don't get any better quality than this from a cosmetic perspective. But that may change with the removals.

If you're really interested, you could always put out a thread in "transportation" and ask the question.

NEIOWA

Well it was a good day today. Pics attached.

I solicited help from Harold and his M35A2 to pull my new laundry unit to the house. He and his wife Vivian came to my rescue. This thing is brand new and never used outside of generator maintenance. Tech manuals were all in there in hermetically sealed plastic, as were the cards for running the washer. Paint looked GREAT and all hookups and piping appeared to be there. The ladder and steps and walkway have never been removed. Batteries looked new at the connections but were probably used for the gen maintenance unless they elected to use a slave cable. There is just a ton of equipment on this unit that is going to require further investigation. I can probably use the high output hot water heater, gen, and trailer, but might try to sell the washer, dryer and wringer with pumps to a farmer or someone with a big shed for washiing coveralls and canvas with. Harold is listed as Armyvet67 on SS. Great guy and a skilled driver! Thanks Harold!!!

p.s. Harold gets his cast off his foot tomorrow. He broke it changing out a tire on his Deuce. Ouch!

I suggest you find a poor rural volunteer FD and give them the washer for properly cleaning their turn out gear. A commercial washer/extractor is the "School" standard but too expensive. You don't want to wash out the gunk from a modern structure fire in mom's Maytag. They don't need a dryer as To gear is not to be mechanically/heat dried.

3dAngus

Update:
I managed to work on the Laundry Unit today. I took on the generator after reading about 8" of manuals over the last two days. Fuel would not come out the drain on the tank, so I assumed based on so many readings here it was gummy and black on the bottom and needed cleaning. Turns out, after putting in 5 gallons of diesel, it was just a drained tank. One of the fresh batteries, dated 2007 was at 8.5 volts, the other at 11.5vdc. I tried putting both on the 50amp charger and both came up to 13.8vdc after an hour of fast charge. Fuel filters were clean and I drained them at bottom petcock. After trying the first start, it did nothing, so with the cold I tried the glow plugs again for preheat. Fired it up again and it sputtered. On the third try, batteries went dead, and the one dropped back down to 8.5vdc. So I pulled out my trusty fishing trolling motor battery and put it in it's place. Recharged the now drained old battery left in place and tried again. It had a lot more pep this time and spit and sputtered and started up. I didn't hold it in start long enough and it quickly died when I went to the run position. I tried it two more times, using the 50amp charger on the weaker battery all the way, and it did start up and held. Frequency wavered a little after cranking it up from about 48hz to 60. I adjusted out the voltage. After a few minutes of warmup, the oil pressure dropped from 50psi to 45, then 15 minutes later when fully warm, it settled to 40psi. Also, the battery voltage indicator, in the high yellow area, crept up in the green, and after just a few more minutes, it settle well in the mid range of green, meaning fully charged. The MEP-003 ran very smoothly after a couple of minutes and I know she enjoyed the long awaited start and warmup. It was another good day!

Found out in the manuals, the dryer is multifuel, and the hot water heater mega multifuel, meaning it willl drink almost any kind of petro. Dryer uses either diesel or JP8. I didn't get to check out the compressor or any of these other instruments, but might give it a try tomorrow

wikallen

That looks like a cool setup. Bring it and about 5 water buffalo trailers to a week long camp trip.

This equipment is pretty outdated. Washer uses a lot of water, requires a lot of handling with separate washer/extractor. The stand alone extractors were a bit lacking in safety circuits making them somewhat dangerous.

You might be able to give away the equipment, but I highly doubt anyone would buy it for more then a few hundred bucks at the very very most. Worth more in scrap metal. I scrap out more modern units.

Fire fighters might be able to use the washer, but the extractor might be too fast for gear. Anything over 1g of force will force the water into the fabric, ruining the water repellent.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Whats scrap metal go for now days. I always wondered and have never dealt with it.

Yeah, The washer will handle up to 60 pounds per load, 2X per hour, where the dryer handles 30 pounds 4X per hour. The extractor spins at about 1750rpm so it's really throwing all the water off of the clothes through the basket. You don't want to be around it if anything comes loose. It has a big red kill switch in case, but I wouldn't want to be the one to reach over to hit it. <grin>
It would take an awful lot of water to wash 60 pounds of dry clothes. I wouldn't want to run it in a septic tank.

Even so, I'm just totally fasicinated by it all. If I had a big metal building, You would not be able to part me with it. I would dry out the dryer and duct the warm air in to heat it up. Use the industrial washer to wash tents and canvas, finish in the extractor. And the 110vac water pump, the small 100psi compressor, the hot water heater, all this stuff is great for roughing it. I just love it! Having fun here....

NEIOWA

That looks like a cool setup. Bring it and about 5 water buffalo trailers to a week long camp trip.

This equipment is pretty outdated. Washer uses a lot of water, requires a lot of handling with separate washer/extractor. The stand alone extractors were a bit lacking in safety circuits making them somewhat dangerous.

You might be able to give away the equipment, but I highly doubt anyone would buy it for more then a few hundred bucks at the very very most. Worth more in scrap metal. I scrap out more modern units.

Fire fighters might be able to use the washer, but the extractor might be too fast for gear. Anything over 1g of force will force the water into the fabric, ruining the water repellent.

Like I said, they only need the washer. DON'T let them use any kind of mechanical or heated dryer. A warm air system is the only approved way to dry Turnout gear.