• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recycling M925 Bed Into Dump Trailer

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Alright SS Family, need some assistance! I have a M925 I’m parting out, and the bed is mint.

I’m thinking about building a dump trailer, and keeping it on rockwells mean the trailer is simply going to be too tall. So here’s what I’m thinking:
1) Use the 925 bed, maybe add 2’-3’ of removable steel sideboards (weight isn’t an issue, use skid steer to remove if needed)

2) reuse the frame itself, remove cab, engine, guts etc and set frame on ?civilian? Axles, and heat up frame itself protruding in front of bed then bend inwards to touch and weld up, use steel beam inside middle of frame going back to crossmember to add strength after heating up the military frame

3) reuse military wiring for lights and reuse original light housings, maybe upgrade to LED for 12/24v compatibility. Will mostly be towed by an MTVR so weight is not an issue for towing/stopping.
**I have CDL’s, so legal weight is not an issue**

Ask plenty of questions, because I need outside perspectives, my current questions are:
1) what axles can I put under this trailer, to keep load capacity in the bed around 10Ton while getting this trailer LOW to the ground, for practicality loading by hand and skid steer

2) or alternate, what axles can I put under this trailer to keep load capacity in the bed around 5-7.5Ton? While keeping trailer low to ground

**air brakes would be a +++, but not mandatory.**

3) only after deciding on the above, what’s the cheapest/where to source an electric over hydraulic dump cylinder, motor, hydraulic lines etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

Lukes_deuce

Frame and bed are good for 20,000 all day long. My 923 was turned into a dump with a 10 ton hoist.

For axles, see if you can find a set of trailer axles off an old van trailer. They are usually very cheap, can carry the weight, have air brakes and standard 11r22.5 tires. I dont think any axles under 10k would be worth it. Between weight of the bed, hoist, frame etc your limiting your payload. I would usually load 7 yards of crushed concrete and that would be 17k to 18k with a stock bed, no extensions. With extensions 1 foot extensions, your going to add another couple of yards and be in the 25k payload.

For the hoist, I wouldnt go less than 10 ton. You will need to lift the bed on a 4x4 or do some notching and fabrication on the bed. Any bigger on the hoist, and would need to do some major fab work. It might better to go with a front mounted telescoping cylinder at that point.

Hydraulic wise, an electric over hydraulic set up will do what you want, but it will be slow and eat batteries if you use it alot. You could run a little 8hp motor and pump as well. I started with a electric over hydraulic and when to the factory 5ton PTO set up. Do you have a PTO on your MTVR?

DeMilitarized

Frame and bed are good for 20,000 all day long. My 923 was turned into a dump with a 10 ton hoist.

For axles, see if you can find a set of trailer axles off an old van trailer. They are usually very cheap, can carry the weight, have air brakes and standard 11r22.5 tires. I dont think any axles under 10k would be worth it. Between weight of the bed, hoist, frame etc your limiting your payload. I would usually load 7 yards of crushed concrete and that would be 17k to 18k with a stock bed, no extensions. With extensions 1 foot extensions, your going to add another couple of yards and be in the 25k payload.

For the hoist, I wouldnt go less than 10 ton. You will need to lift the bed on a 4x4 or do some notching and fabrication on the bed. Any bigger on the hoist, and would need to do some major fab work. It might better to go with a front mounted telescoping cylinder at that point.

Hydraulic wise, an electric over hydraulic set up will do what you want, but it will be slow and eat batteries if you use it alot. You could run a little 8hp motor and pump as well. I started with a electric over hydraulic and when to the factory 5ton PTO set up. Do you have a PTO on your MTVR?

Being a trailer he would have to run hydraulic lines from his hydraulic pump that he would have to add to his truck, run lines on the trailer and add couplers and valves. Probably be cheaper to run wires to charge batteries on the trailer.

Lukes_deuce

Being a trailer he would have to run hydraulic lines from his hydraulic pump that he would have to add to his truck, run lines on the trailer and add couplers and valves. Probably be cheaper to run wires to charge batteries on the trailer.
I understand that, I know that Elijah always has things up his sleeve so just throwing out options. Tractor trailers run it a similar set up all the time. Electric over hydraulic is by far the easiest.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie

Good info unfortunately I don’t have a pto on my truck yet, that would be a nice addition.

I’m seeing what’s the cheapest way to cook this up as spending 5k+ when I can buy a new 10 ton dump for 11,000k doesn’t seem fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks