• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Dot A/C HMMWV Custom Install

WAGNUM

I had all the pictures from this summer when I did a custom install of a Red Doc A/C Unit on my M998. Here's a link to my blog with the install article. If you like the WAGNUM: WAR WAGUNS blog there will be more good stuff to come. Stay tuned. Thanks Guys

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for posting.

Can you post pictures of the evap unit mounting to the tunnel. Did you use the stock brackets or did you fab a mount?

Also, where is the drier mounted and can you post a picture?

On the low side of your tunnel is another box. Is that part of the a/c wiring? I know the top box is the controls.

orgnal

I had all the pictures from this summer when I did a custom install of a Red Doc A/C Unit on my M998. Here's a link to my blog with the install article. If you like the WAGNUM: WAR WAGUNS blog there will be more good stuff to come. Stay tuned. Thanks Guys
Nice work both on the installation and sharing your notes and pictures !

McReddy

erasedhammer

Yeah, what is that little box on the dog house?
The only wires that are around there for the a/c go into the dash?

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting! I picked up a red dot kit (drove 3 hours to get it) a couple weeks ago and I've been having a hard time finding the time to install it. I found one person to do it, but they jerked me around and got mad because they would have to fabricate a mount for unit in the cab because I don't have a regular back.

sully199

I have put 6 of these in HMMWVS, **** with that HUGE condenser, Buy a condenser off of your favorate site, mount it under your hood, using the wiring harness and fan. makes it real clean and out of the way.

sully199

the only issue to watchout for when mounting the condenser under the hood, is that the wires for the head light don't hit the condenser, I learned on one that it wall hit. If the condenser is too wide.

sully199

Yes it is, it's from the Home Depot collection. No, on the condenser, the smaller one is out of the condenser that went in the rear wheel well, and the larger one I ordered by size from a company that has them in just about any dimension.
hope this helps and clarifies.

sully199

On the mounting, i have them mounted on the floor also. There are 2 L brackets that come in the kit, and I also put the evap drain into the floor where it sits on the deck. That thing is not going anywhere

erasedhammer

how did you mount the condenser to the radiator stack? Mine looks like that only it's a little smaller and lines up width-wise with the oil cooler.

Oh and what hose did you use to run from the compressor/condenser back to the evap/drier? The stock ones wouldn't be correct for the setup am I right?

sully199

No
i
only used the stock hoses that came with the kit, but I had to make it work with the larger hose to a smaller fitting and using the smaller clamp. I used the mechanics best friend, large zip ties

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most part stores carry a universal transmission cooler mounting kit that is 4 wire ties with square washers and rubber washers that would work well for mounting condensors to the cooling stack.

erasedhammer

not in TM, are you using the red dot kit? But the 3 size hose in the kit are 12, 10 and 8 I believe. Are you trying to build your own system? That's easy too.
Kit was too expensive. I'm using red dot stuff but I am acquiring my own parts. Just looking for the part numbers cause on epay all they list is the part number and not the specific application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks