• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red dot ac charging

Dpas1973

I just purchased a 1123 with red dot ac that is empty. I only see 2 valves on top of filter dryer in rear off condenser to hook gauges up am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kzeyus

Mine is in a 998, but have two of the normal size AC valve in the lines near the evaporator. The ports on the dryer are where my low and high pressure switches are attached.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the hookups should be on the evaporator, not the dryer. Standard R134A hookups.
Remove the driver's side cover plate to see them easily. Low side is at the bottom facing forward, high side is a little above and behind it facing straight out.

Picture taken from my thread below

I circled the fittings.
8f49404c9a7a86cc6870509a0c8fd7e75568363c-1 (1).jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not have them ports on mine.

Can you post pictures of your evaporator from both sides and the receiver/dryer for us? There is no way that a Red Dot system does not have industry standard charging ports unless someone has modified it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the ports are on the actual hose barb fittings as part of the hose assembly.

Are the hoses there? Maybe they were removed during demil?

Last edited:

Dpas1973

Can you post pictures of your evaporator from both sides and the receiver/dryer for us? There is no way that a Red Dot system does not have industry standard charging ports unless someone has modified it.
Ok tomm when it’s light. It only has 2 standard fittings on the top of dryer

Dpas1973

Sent pic

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent pic

Yes, that is the same location as mine for the high side port, low side port will be lower down under the cover, facing forward.
Remove the cover then compare to the pic I posted earlier.

Dpas1973

Yes, that is the same location as mine for the high side port, low side port will be lower down under the cover, facing forward.
Remove the cover then compare to the pic I posted earlier.

See these are the only 2 ports

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

See these are the only 2 ports

Yes, those are the two ports.
they are all you need to charge the system. Standard R134a hookups.

You will want to go over the entire system and make sure all the fittings are snug. Not too tight, because they are o-ring seals. My truck had the MAK (Marine Armor Kit) removed from it before I purchased, so many of the fittings were loose from where it went through the armor.

While you are at it, since the system isn't charged, it might not be a bad idea to go through and replace all of the o-rings in the system.

Red dot bagged O-Ring assortment 70R5020 , cost $6 on ebay.

The receiver/dryer isn't a bad idea either if you don't know if it was open to atmosphere at all. Mine was still mounted properly, but had been installed backwards, so double check it is facing the correct direction for system flow.
NOS Parker Filter Drier Dryer Receiver R-134a PH-08853500 Red-Dot RD-5-11435-0 (cost $18 on ebay)

Double check your compressor, it should be a Sanden, and you'll want to use SP-15 compressor oil to lubricate the o-rings and fittings, supposedly not compatible with standard PAG-15 oil.

The high side port is the same as a standard GM thread in port, can be bought for pretty cheap anywhere (mine leaked a little)
The low side port is a hose fitting, not as common but still pretty easy to acquire on ebay. (I paid like $6 for a replacement)

10-12-ac-hose-fitting-straight-male-with-suction-port

#10/12 ac hose fitting straight male with suction port
#10 for #12 hose straight male o-ring
low side charging port
aeroquip e-z clip
be aware this fitting needs # 12 hose

The hoses and fittings are relatively cheap for these systems, so replacing any of them that show issues like cracking or corrosion is much easier/better to do before you charge up the system (I replaced every hose and all but one fitting, and ended up having that one fitting be the one with issues and so needing replaced later, and it was the high side charging port, under $10)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks