• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red Footwell lights

rmgill

When I added my rear facing work light for backing up and hooking up, and my front facing driving lights under the bumper, I rigged up a 3 position switch cluster under the dash to the left of the driver's knee. I knew I'd be adding something else so I left a spot for one additional switch.

The next thing I'm looking at adding is a set of foot well lights under the dash. I've already fabbed the brackets (just some doglegs of sheet metal for some dash illuminators. But positioned so they shine red light in the foot wells of the truck. As you know, these trucks are dark inside in the dark and when you drop something, like a tool, it can be a pain. So, to add some gentle mood lighting, I've come up with this.

I've also found that a bit of very faint light in one's peripheral vision can help with one's night time eye fatigue. Long drives to PA from Atlanta in my car have shown me this.

Before I photograph and show this off (I haven't taken photos yet...hang on!), has anyone else done this?

steelandcanvas

The thought of adding the footwell lights has crossed my mind a few times. I pondered the idea of having a door switch to turn them on upon opening either door, and an override switch so you could have them on with the doors closed...much like the courtesy lights in a civilian vehicle. I'll stay tuned to this thread hoping to get some ideas on an acceptable lighting unit, the LEDs in post #2 are pretty spendy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm adding two of these under dash on a piece of construction equipment I've been refurbishing:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/40151

They work very well, but not so bright to cause a reflective issue. I scoured the market for alternatives, but most of what I found was cheap plastic Chinese LED's.
Wow, thats expensive! I have some 24v Cat lights cheap. PM if interested.

Attachments

rmgill

While I wait for night to fall so I can get proper images, I'll explain my line of thinking.

My daily driver, a Honda Insight (2010) has a set of foot well lights in a very faint blue that work well. I added those from the Honda US catalog of Fit and Crosstour accessories. Apparently offered in Japan but not the US. I like these. They're not auto-on, rather the driver has a switch.

Here they are on a Crosstour.

AMBIENT-LIGHTING_mid.jpg

The Humber Aroured car that I co-own, has essentially the same thing but in the driver's area, there's not only instrument lighting but also what the Brits call a "festoon" lamp.

16110212729_2fc75a16bf.jpg

The festoon lamp is off to the right out of frame.
But you get a nice decent amount of light for doing tasks in that area, mostly seeing what you're doing if you need to work on something or check things.

I suppose a really nifty way to do this would be a 3 position switch with one position for red lights and another for white light, especially ones shining on your brake fluid access area.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alexsha

Ford has had the option of footwell lighting since before 2008. I really liked their take on it. My old 2009 F-150 had LED tubes and you could change the color and brightness. Very nice effect.

Artisan

While you guys are looking at lights, if you run into any RED and/or WHITE, LED, 24V,
Exterior, maybe 3" x 5" or so, Surface Mount, it will probably be 3 wires so It can
glow RED or WHITE, .............I would appreciate a heads up .

I think there is one out there that is like $132.00 EA, too much for me, I need 2.

rmgill

It's been a while since I posted images here. The methodologies keep changing and aren't always obvious. Plus the image size limit is annoying as heck.

If I could include the image to the flicker account and just have it link there using usual BB-Code that'd be easier.....

Plugugly

Agreed, the image rules here are...unique. I've certainly not posted images just because it's such a pita. It's a shame.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Agreed, the image rules here are...unique. I've certainly not posted images just because it's such a pita. It's a shame.
I don't know what sites you use, but many do not allow off site hosting any more. It keeps pics available for the members and is much better for the group as a whole. No missing pics and when a newb comes here for info, it will be here. No "dead ends" so to speak.

Carlo

When I added my rear facing work light for backing up and hooking up, and my front facing driving lights under the bumper, I rigged up a 3 position switch cluster under the dash to the left of the driver's knee. I knew I'd be adding something else so I left a spot for one additional switch.

The next thing I'm looking at adding is a set of foot well lights under the dash. I've already fabbed the brackets (just some doglegs of sheet metal for some dash illuminators. But positioned so they shine red light in the foot wells of the truck. As you know, these trucks are dark inside in the dark and when you drop something, like a tool, it can be a pain. So, to add some gentle mood lighting, I've come up with this.

I've also found that a bit of very faint light in one's peripheral vision can help with one's night time eye fatigue. Long drives to PA from Atlanta in my car have shown me this.

Before I photograph and show this off (I haven't taken photos yet...hang on!), has anyone else done this?
Did you use LED or normal?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks