• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redneck AC

sermis

Well I scored a hard top that is fixable. Rough but would work. I went to put it on and it is about 6” too wide on each side of the cab. The tag inside showed 2 ½ and 5 ton however it does not fit the deuce. Put it on anyway to see. When I drove down the road it was much cooler. The sides sticking out work like wind scoops and pull the air in.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
got my hopes up for nothing... was hoping to see a window unit, genset, and 6-7 rolls of expertly applied duct tape.

CGarbee

BFR said:
got my hopes up for nothing... was hoping to see a window unit, genset, and 6-7 rolls of expertly applied duct tape.
We had an East Coast Convoy participant from SC a couple of years ago who put a window unit in his M35 (had it blowing into the hard top window while driving, into the bed while parked) and powered it from the AC generator mounted on the M105 trailer that he towed up....

Nice thing is that he also hauled up the big screen TV so that we could watch Band of Brothers and Rat Patrol each night...

CGarbee

Yup, right truck, right driver, wrong year... :). Photo is from the year before at Churchville when all he had was the little TV running off an inverter and a pile of 6TL batteries (which he was selling...). The following year at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen is the year of the larger screen, generator, and AC.

How is the truck working out for you? I don't suspect that he included the AC in the sale, did he?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Never underestimate the ingenuity of a determined good ole boy. With duct tape, baling wire and vice grips we can fix anything.

Years ago in Korea we went to the port to pick up some 900 series 5-ton cargos.
One of them had a leaking pancake seal in the air brake chamber. When the brakes were released the air would come out faster that the compressor could keep up. :cry:
Our wrecker was already hooked up to a truck that would'nt start.
Our 2nd LT maintainence officer wanted to leave the truck and come back the next day (Sat) which would have crimped our weekend. :p
This was a 5 hour drive through Korean traffic and I didn't want to do that again. :?
With the LT watching in awe I caged the brake, unscrewed the airline, filed a dime down with my Leatherman tool, dropped it in the brake line and tighened the line back down. :shock:
No air leak!! :lol:
I drove the truck back to the motor pool and we fixed it Monday.
That Louie never questioned anything I did after that as far as "field expedient repair went".
For reasons best left unstated I was known as Sgt. Bilko while I was in that unit. :wink:

ah1955

Back to the original post. What materal is this hard top(metal or fiberglass) and could you split the difference and cut the extra out of the middle and have it fit. Just a thought.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
With enough time, money. tools and patience you can do just about anything. It would probably be a very labor intensive PITA project. There is probably someone out there looking for a top just that size. I would try to find one that fits and sell the one that don't. Just my 2 Lincolns worth.

Blythewoodjoe

I have got to keep an eye on you guys. As for the original post, what you have is extra shade. In some cultures this is obtained with a larger hat. As for the Aberdeen trip with the AC unit, we needed more BTU's. We have a diesel powered cooler unit in a truck body we removed that might be the ticket for another trip. That is if I ever lose control of my facilities long enough to drive one of these ovens on another trip like that again. Three words, "Gold Bond Powder".

Joe Trapp

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awe Joe, it wasn't that far. When I went in '05 I was another 500 miles south of you! On the A/C note, I remember seeing pics of a guy with a window shaker in the back of his deuce only it was powered off ofone of the inverters that actually have a 28V DC motor direct coupled to an A/C genset head. All military and very cool. Speaking of which, G744 had several of these. Dennis, got any pics?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How is the truck working out for you? I don't suspect that he included the AC in the sale, did he?
I am extremely happy with it. It's a great truck that was well taken care of. I love it.

And the only A/C I got with it was the factory setup-flip out windshields rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks