• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red's deuce/camper project

Hainebd

Compressor is an easy fix and not that expensive. It is most likely a valve not seating due to a broken spring. Replace then take old one apart fix and sell or swap and sell. Just to let you know " It never ends". Almost as bad as a boat.

red

Yea, just occupied with other stuff haha. I'll get one ordered, will be about a week though.

And here's a pic of the MUST shelter. 2 people can set up the expansions. I could raise the roof extension on my own, but couldn't hold it and move the walls out alone. Or lower the floor safely alone (that's the heavy part).

Attachments

red

No manuals, just the ID plates on the shelter. Was built in 78, but the weight tag is unreadable.

Taking a guess on the roof I'd say a few hundred pounds.

Hainebd is yours water logged? Or do you have a shelter that was the xray room (lead lined)? I remember you said yours was very heavy

Hainebd

Do you have model number?
I do not know for sure either way. I just know it is heavy for being mostly aliumium. They did cut hole for wall unit. Wall is 3-4 inches of paper?? Insulation. Yes it could be wet. This spring we are moving again and will setup again. I got local for $250. I bought thinking if not useable or restorable I could scrap and break even.

red

Wait that's just calling for a 9k crane, not listing the actual weight correct?

If the new compressor arrives in time I'll load up the shelter and head to the scale next weekend. My truck was at 13,750 with a 1/2 tank of fuel and no cargo.

Jeepsinker

That's funny. My truck weighs just shy of 18,000 with full tank of fuel and all my tools and stuff that stay in the truck. And it's just a standard cargo. I do keep a 100 gallon aux tank in the bed full at all times though.

red

Interesting with the weight difference, could be a scale problem or maybe you have a lot more cargo than I usually do.

Last week the company I work for decided to close down (oilfield), kept myself and a few others around to pack things up over the next 2-5 months. Seriously thinking about taking up my friend on his offer to move up to Washington state at that point. Get my official certifications as a diesel mechanic so I can work in places outside of the oilfield.

Which means the deuce would be making a very long trip in a few months. Debating whether to do the transmission upgrade before then or not.

red

Going through the truck doing regular maintenance this week. New air compressor is installed, new belts. Getting the radiator repaired (overflow line is cracked) and will go ahead and modify the fan shroud to clear the power steering pump while its out. Went ahead and changed the coolant filter, its definitely worth installing. A few hundred miles on it and there was a good amount of crud in it. I'll post the pic up tomorrow.

Leaning towards doing the transmission upgrade before I move, but after the trip to Big Bend in a few weeks.

rustystud

Interesting with the weight difference, could be a scale problem or maybe you have a lot more cargo than I usually do.

Last week the company I work for decided to close down (oilfield), kept myself and a few others around to pack things up over the next 2-5 months. Seriously thinking about taking up my friend on his offer to move up to Washington state at that point. Get my official certifications as a diesel mechanic so I can work in places outside of the oilfield.

Which means the deuce would be making a very long trip in a few months. Debating whether to do the transmission upgrade before then or not.
Washington is a great state. You'll love it here. especially right now. Today the temperature was in the 50's and no rain. I kind of feel sorry for all you east coast guys right now. Then again you guys always seem to get all these great deals on the GL auction site and have access to tons of good used parts that we never see out here in the Pacific Northwest. So I changed my mind. Let it snow !!! LOL !!!

red

It's been running and driving without issue. What started this maintenance week was replacing the air compressor and its belt. Which led to tightening up the lower radiator hose on the pump, then noticed the alt belts were worn out...... Always something haha. But, it's cheap and easy to work on with very little required maintenance.

red

Looks like the transmission upgrade will have to wait. Gonna cost about 7-900 bucks to complete it, and I'd rather have that cash as a bit of a buffer when I move.

Will have the radiator back on friday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks