• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone M931 Recovery Problem

Mark3395

After a successful wrecker recovery at Redstone friend Gary tried to pick up my M931.

"Well this recovery did not go so well. The truck looked great. I checked the fuel and the drivers side tank was full and the gage was working. it cranked right up and the lights worked. All pressures were fine and the tires were fine as well. But when I put it into drive, the truck wouldn't budge. I worked on it for a while and we isolated the problem to the transfer case. The transmission is working and the short shaft from the transmission to the transfer case spins freely when the transmission is put into drive and the accelerator is pressed. But no matter how hard I pull or push the transfer case lever, I cannot get the transfer case to "transfer" the power from the transmission to the axel. The transfer case lever moves, but not freely. It appears to have full range of motion, but it just doesn't "feel" right. There is no noise or leakage."

My question is: Is there something we're missing in the manual regarding getting an M931 moving? The tractor seems excellent.

I may need to arrange some help in the area...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't know if Wreckerman has the ability to deal with stuff that big that's disabled but he's dead reliable and has saved clintogf and my bacon on a couple occasions.

He's also amusing.

There are a couple of other members who have posted up that they can assist in Redstone ops, I'd do a search for Redstone and see if their threads come up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know if Wreckerman has the ability to deal with stuff that big that's disabled but he's dead reliable and has saved clintogf and my bacon on a couple occasions.

He's also funny looking.

There are a couple of other members who have posted up that they can assist in Redstone ops, I'd do a search for Redstone and see if their threads come up.
Fixed it for ya.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
He's also amusing.
He's also funny looking.
Small minds are so easily amused.:roll:

I was up there today but I didn't know about your issue.

Terresa is easy to work with so I can buy you some time if the truck is still on base.

I can flat tow it back to my place but that's 80 miles opposite from where you are.

I don't have any resources for storing one up there.

PM me if you need to.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing to try if you haven't already- M931 types are notorious for the rear brakes locking up after they have been parked for a while.
Try using a BFH to bang on the brake drums, a few good whacks (not enough to leave dents!) and some judicious backing-and-fowarding will usually break them loose.
Make sure you stop completely before shifting from Reverse to Drive, and back, or you will damage the tranny.

Cheers

Mark3395

Gimpy, I sure wonder why you don't start more knife fights than you do. Funny.

Thanks for the info everybody. Wreckerman has some good ideas I'll be working this week with Teresa at Huntsville. This all gives me another good reason to go to the MVPA convention at the end of the month.

Got my 923 here (Thanks much Jwaller) and will look it over to see if I can find any hints. Might need to seek some parts at the Rally.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks