• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Redstone - Tucson M35a2 recovery: seeking counsel

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cosidering 3 recovery alternatives: 1-check fluids, brakes, lights, tires, leaks, etc and head out; 2-get it towed to a local shop for a hopefully competent look-see and requisite PM, then head out; or 3-have it delivered.

Re #1, I just need to be faIrly certain that I touch all the bases before heading back to the dugout. I'll be spending a fair amout of time with TM9-2320-361-10 prior to whatever alternative is selected.

Re #2, does anyone out there have any info re Huntsville service sites? If it's driveable, I'd also consider Birmingham, as I likely will be stopping there for a bit.

Re #3, I recognize that it's a long haul to drive, but I have not read much that is comforting about USHIP. Probably cost me more than the purchase price, as well.

To be honest, I'm leaning toward #2, as I'd be starting after a brake flush and some hopefully sound technical serviice and counsel.

Thoughts??

bs

Westex

That's a long haul for a truck that has not been tried and tested. I'm not trying to dissuade you here, but you would really have to go through it and then some before I would vote yes on driving it all the way home. Especially in the heat we're having in our region of the world at the beginning of summer. PM me if you like and I'll chat with you about my experiences (which are still ongoing) in recovering my soft top deuce.

cleb

bsorcs: I might be able to take a look at your truck next week, I think I'll be out on the arsenal. I assume you've won it already? I'll second what others have said....trips like that really test a truck and if everything isn't ship shape you will have issues. Things like rear mains, rear wheel seals, etc like to fail once the fluids get nice and warm. It can be done, but I would be hesitant to do it with a truck in unknown condition. There are a few good transportation companies on the forum. I know pctrans is one, and I'm sure others will chime in.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I agree with the cautions about a long drive after just picking a deuce up.

That being said I picked a deuce up last year for a SS member in Washington State.

He and his dad drove to my place, we did some PMCS on the truck (filter changes, fluid changes, checks on systems) and installed two springer seats.

They hooked the Jeep they had driven here in to the back of the deuce (towbar) and drove all the way back to WA with little or no problems.

I guess you have to assess your relationship with Mr Murphy and decide if you want to roll the dice.

It will be a hot, slow trip back to AZ but it would be an adventure for sure.

Mitymac

If you have the time... Bring all the fluids, wrenches, check, top off, grease it, extra bats, driver and cash, ear plugs and check the hubs for heating as you go.

two.fiveM35

I wouldn't drive it. I just won one from Redstone and I am going to have it shipped. It would be a long ride at 50 mph and if it broke down in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't know where to get parts or help. And then would probably have to get a wreaker and get it towed. Costing me more in the long run. The shipping cost for mine is going to be around $1500.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,

A thousand thanks for the counsel. I am less than eager to set out with the 'pig in the poke' I won. One new avenue I'll explore is contact with the Kentucky NG unit that it came from. [307CRC] Any insights they might provide could be of value in making a decision. Time is not an issue [retired], but a diesel mechanic I ain't. I've rehabilitated Volvo brakes and changed out timing belts, pumps, wipers, fans, etc., and done light work on a series of suburban engines, and I'm pretty good in the woodshop, but that's where it pretty much stops. That will change a bit soon, however, as I've a USN whaleboat with a Perkins diesel that I will be working on soon...full plate here.

Cleb, since you will be there and offered to take a look, I am sitting on lot #3930...'73 AMGeneral w/hard top and full canvas. Left front bumper reads DET 183; right reads 75ITC 307CRC. Any info you might provide would be more than welcome. Do you know of a local shop that you trust that could inspect and prep the truck, filters, fluids, seals, etc., should a drive home be elected?

This is quite a site you guys have. I am impressed by the enthusiasm that is evident, and by the caliber of information freely provided. Again, thanks to all, and I will start exploring shipping options. Again, thanks to all.

bs

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you thinking of driving out with fluids/spares etc? or flying in and jumping in the truck?

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IF I elect to try the drive, I'll fly in and hopefully find a shop to go over ~everything prior to take off...fluids, belts, electrical, brakes, latent leaks, etc.

bs

ARYankee

If you decide to drive it back, I would recommend posting your route and get some contact info for some members willing to help if you run into problems on the way home.

cleb

I think a member here used Rocket City Trucks to recovery their truck and do the PM before they picked it up. I personally have no experience with them.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roger the potential route posting. Re CA trucks, I was in the pitch, but they've been bidding up to 5-6K...nuts! Redstone and Riley sem to be consolidation centers for the central US and the bids there in are much more reasonable.

Thanks to all.

bs

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cleb,

Event #5132, lot #3930.
The truck is from the 75th ITC, 307th CRC [Kentucky NG]...truck DET 183.

I owe you.

bs