• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reduce wear during a recovery?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of my deuces so far have been purchased from private party. I have now won two deuces and a 105 trailer about 500 miles away in Redstone. My question is, would pulling the rear shaft to the farthest tandem give me any benefit? They both have 1100s and one will be pulling a 105 trailer.

Also, if one truck needs to be towed (have several trucks coming back), should any/all drive shafts be pulled on the truck being towed?

Does anyone have an idea how much a semi would charge to recover 2 deuces 500 loaded miles?

Thanks.

dm22630

When I pulled the M109 500 miles, I pulled the front and rear DS.....I did not pull the far rear DS.

You need to put the M105 in the bed of the truck that is pulling.

Also....a semi will charge $700-$900 to bring them to you. Which is probably worth it.....BUT.....there would be no room for the 105 & it would be too tall to put in the bed of a deuce on a trailer.

You can do it in 2 days easy.

Westech

CPL
I remove the rear drive shaft on mine during longer road trips.. you get more MPG's and its a lot ezer to turn. Only thing is you will spin a tire a bit when taking off from a hill or wet roads... but that is what the front axle is for. lock it in when taking off from stops or hills when towing if needed.

dm22630

I remove the rear drive shaft on mine during longer road trips.. you get more MPG's and its a lot ezer to turn. Only thing is you will spin a tire a bit when taking off from a hill or wet roads... but that is what the front axle is for. lock it in when taking off from stops or hills when towing if needed.

AH.....I thought he was talking about the towed truck only.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The ironic thing in all this is the trucks from Redstone were shipped in from IL, IN and Ohio among other places....it is possible that the trucks you bought came from a Nat Guard unit very close to you.
Your tax dollars at work.:cookoo:

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think my trucks came from Peoria which is only 94 miles away!

When the trucks are transported by semi, does he load them? I assume I do not need to be there? What all do I have to do besides send the lot numbers and check?

rod

The GL lot at Redstone does not have a loading dock or loading ramps. All trucks are unloaded with a large forklift. This is the reason that most of the truck which come thru Redston has a little damage to the right front fender closr to the exhaust pipe. So unless your semi driver has ramps, can talk the GP folks into loading the truck with the forklift ot has one of those trailers which which seperates, there may be an issue getting the trucks loaded.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find that pulling one axle shaft accomplishes the same desired goal but is much faster and I don''t have to go diving under the truck. Same thing with extended flat tows. I pull all 4 rear shafts and the front drive flanges so that the only thing spinning is the hubs. Many more bolts but with an impact it's a very quick job. You can even take the front drive flanges and bolt them on the rear to plug the holes. Since I have them, I take a spare set of front drive flanges with me to cover the other rear axle.

grounded

Banned
I do the same except always just pulled the front shaft. (rear i pull all 4 shafts)

Kenny have you ever had any issues of the front shaft flopping around in the hole while being towed that way?

be nice to get all 3 axles stopped vs just the rear 2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never an issue Craig. The front axle shafts just sit there. Some grease gets slung about but thats it! See pic

Attachments