• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reducing the length of the steering wheel shaft on a Deuce

Oldgrunt

Has anyone seen a thread or thought about shorting the length of the steering wheel shaft on a Deuce to get it a little closer to the dash, It would be nice to get about 3 inches closer.

Semper Fi
Old Grunt

pa.rich

RE: Reducing the length of the steering wheel shaft on a Deu

I would be interested in knowing that too. The ole spare tire is always in the way, but I am working on getting rid of that.Just a guess, but I would say that the steering wheel end would be easier to cut, turn on a lathe and thread end? Sure sounds like too much work taking the box apart and all. The military didnt count on us big guys driving these . The old Model B Macks were cramped also, but they had the optional Swing away steering column. Nice if that could be done.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See this: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....e=viewtopic&t=17811&highlight=steering+column

Cut 2-3" and re-weld, without taking steering box and column appart? :shock:
Well, everything is possible, but SAFETY FIRST! so how good of a welder are you....
Both column and shaft are perfectly weldable but, if I had to do it "on board"..... (better PM me for ideas and don't tell anybody....!)

Also keep in mind that just shortening the steering column also means moving the steering wheel down closer to your legs/knies...! With a little work the bracket which holds the column to the dash can be moved upwards about 1" which helps a little bit.

Gerhard

Oldgrunt

Thanks for the quick reply, I just got my Deuce home and haven't had time to tear into the steering column and box. I didn't really know how the steering wheel was attached to the column, splin ect... I was hopeing that if it were attached with a spline, and the spline was long enough you could simply shortin the shaft and the outer cover. Does anyone have some pictures of the gear box, shaft ect...?

Semper Fi
Oldgrunt

joec

Re: Reducing the length of the steering wheel shaft on a Deu

Oldgrunt said:
Has anyone seen a thread or thought about shorting the length of the steering wheel shaft on a Deuce to get it a little closer to the dash, It would be nice to get about 3 inches closer.

Semper Fi
Old Grunt
Do you have a spring seat ? Go to a box if that will help. I'm ok in my Deuce but to push the clutch in on the M543 i have to open the door..lol... rofl

I have no idea why same cab..but the box seat is going in..!

I am 6' 3" 340lbs

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics are in the manuals. I have 110 NOS inner steering shafts if anyone decides to try and mod some. :lol:

pa.rich

Joec , you are bigger than me! I am 6'2" and 297 lbs. I was 185 when I was 19! I looked like a prisoner of war. Of course add 36 years and some good cookin and a good wife and thats what can happen. By the way, I wondeer whats for supper tonight?