• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

reflective tape removal

llong66

My truck was used by a fire dept and as you can see in the pics they put reflective tape down the sides of it. I cannot get this stuff off! I have tried glue gone, brake cleaner, contact cleaner and no luck. In the last pic you can see how the stuff just breaks off when you try and peel it. I dont have a hair dryer so I have not tried that yet, but does anyone have another idea of how to get this stuff off? I plan on repainting the truck so if I damage the paint I am not real worried, I just dont want to have to sand it all. Any ideas are appreciated!

Attachments

M813A1

I would use a heat gun as stated by Diesel583 it is the easiest way to remove that tape . But be warned if you stay to long in one spot it burns the paint

Ripcord01

I was never able to get that tape off my trailer. I just sanded the crap out of the edges and primered and painted. You can still see the reflection with a camera..Good luck..

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try to pressure wash it or sand blast. On time I was pressure washing my truck and got to close and it pulled off the decals
Do not sandblast it. I'd break out the sander and remove them (may as well start the repaint while your at it).

JH1

I was able to remove the reflective tape pretty well with a razor blade in a holder. It didn't damage the paint much at all. It did leave the glue behind, but diesel takes that off ok. I'm going to repaint, anyway.

llong66

JH1, I tried the razor blade and it just breakes off in small pieces, There was also lettering on the doors and it came right off with a razor blade, no problem, this stuff is tough!
WB1895 thanks for the idea, I did not know there was such a thing, if heat does not work, I try that next.

Jones

If you can't get a heat gun or hair dryer then park the truck in the sun for a aan hour or two.
The tape is designed to break if you try to remove it (it's the same stuff they print the vehicle registration year license plate stickers on.
I've found a trick that seems to work though; after the tape is warm to hot (softens the glue) get an end started then pull at about a 30 to 45 degree angle from the vehicle surface . Pulling 90 degrees from the vehicle surface will make it break every time. Second, exert just enough pull to keep a load on the glue 'til it gives up it's grip. If you pull too hard or too fast you'll break it and have to start again.

It ain't a fast job but it'll get most all of it if you just keep after it.
If you want to help things along, keep the glue side of the tape damp with Goof Off or Goo-Gone. That will help break down the glue (not too much or the tape will get slippery and hard to manage). For the loose end of the tape; put a piece of paper under it and stick the tape down to it. That'll give you a kind of handle or tab and keep the loose end from re-attaching itself to the surface.

llong66

Thanks for all the replies and ideas! I got a heat gun yesterday, they were on sale at harbor freight, and it works great! I took some paint off with the razor blade getting under it on a few places but I am gona repaint it this summer anyway so no biggy.