• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering a LMTV in California

Hello everyone,
What has been every ones experience trying to register a LMTV in CA? I have a deuce that is registered as a classic but would like to use a lmtv without those restrictions. Please let me know what pitfalls to look out for.
Thanks
John

cybindustries

To register in California you need to make it an RV/ Housecar or meet the new CARB diesel requirements to register it as a commercial vehicle that means model 2010 or newer engine with all the DPF and smog bs. Ours are converted to RVs and CA registered.

EO2NMCB

Small fleet exemption ends 1jan17 or Jan 18, add to it CARB lost a lawsuit in regards to the exemptions for the small fleets which they are appealing but it should be a moot point because the exemptions will expire before it gets settled in the courts.

jpinst

I only use my a couple times per year. In this case, your best bet is to get a one trip permit at the DMV. it covers round trips and is only $20. usually they hand it to you blank.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reviving this thread to ask a question......do you just walk into DMV with paperwork and say it's an RV? Do they require you to get it inspected? How do you prove its an rv?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly you probably won't be able to get it done. It can't be registered commercial since it's older than 2010 and that's an absolute denial on emissions alone.

And it can't be registered as an RV unless you install permanent sleeping/cooking accommodations and get VERY lucky with your choice of DMV and CHP and all the other hoops. And it will still probably cost a fortune.

I would recommend these guys. Register it to an LLC in Utah:

www.dirtlegal.com

Third From Texas

Reviving this thread to ask a question......do you just walk into DMV with paperwork and say it's an RV? Do they require you to get it inspected? How do you prove its an rv?
Step 1) move from CA

States that allow for RV conversions typically have a list of like 10-12 things that would potentially make it an RV and you have to have 4-6 of the items on the list done to qualify as a conversion. You then get it weighed, show pics of the installed items, and then whatever typical requirements that state required to get a vehicle registered and tagged (insurance, inspections, fees, etc that vary state-to-state).

Third From Texas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks