• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

registering an M35A2 for use in CT

Mike944

Hi everybody, new member here. I figure i'll post this question here before attempting to contact the DMV.

I'm buying a 1971 M35A2 dump truck, for personal use as a dump truck. Mostly around the farm, but I want to be able to haul gravel, mulch, manure, etc... on the street for my own use (not commercial use) It's coming from NY state, so it won't have a CT title (or any title for that matter at that age)

I've heard of people registering them as "Classic Vehicle", which seems like an applicable registration, but I've also heard that comes with restrictions on carrying loads (<500 lbs only), which won't work for me. is that true?

If I register as a commercial vehicle, how do I go about doing that? seems like a pain in the butt.

So, for those of you in CT, what have you registered your vehicles as?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
Is your farm registered with the state and USDA? If so, go with the farm tags. Hauling gravel, mulch and manure are all farm commodities.

Timeline98

I'll be watching this thread. I'm in the same boat. M35A3 out of NY looking to register in CT. I hear we may need to build a bumper for the rear, and make sure the mud flaps are intact. Not sure what other tips and tricks to getting them registered. Hoping to get mine registered in March. Good Luck.

Mike944

Not totally sure what you mean by green & clean, but I assume you mean green paint, and keeping it clean.

I'm not going to intentionally abuse it, but I am planning to put it to work as a dump truck that won't get stuck in my epic mud. That's why I'm buying it. The "cool old military vehicle" aspect is definitely secondary for me. Not sure if I'll actually show it. It might see some time on the show circuit

Mike944

ok, so I waited on hold for 45 minutes to the DMV.

Talked to some guy, who had to go ask several people, and his answer was: "If you register as a classic, you can only use it for classic vehicle purposes, like parades and such. As soon as you put anything in the bed, you need a combination registration"

I asked multiple times "what statute or law do I look at to see this in writing?" and he just kept repeating "classic vehicle is only for classic type activities" Finally, after about the 4th ask, he said "I don't know sir, you'll find it online somewhere"

Grrrr. You want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Looks like i'll need to read the ENTIRE ct motor vehicle statutes, to see if I can find anything.

He did also say "Over 12K you need a medical certificate" despite the fact that CDL is over 26k (and I don't need one of those)

skinnyR1

Nobody at the DMV knows anything. You are on your own. I've read the CT laws front to back regarding this. I will comment here, but don't consider me an expert.

My M35a2 is registered here in CT as an antique. Early American, Historical, or Classic, whatever it is called at this point. I have the registration renewal in front of me. It shows nothing in the GVWR or weight sections. Fact is, after reading the laws, there are no restriction in the CT statutes that say anything about what you can and can't do with Antique registration here.

I can drive the truck anywhere, with anything in the bed under the CDL weight limit. I am not for hire, and the truck is for personal use only. This is important. As long as it is personal use, the commercial laws do not apply. Plate it, insure it, and you can haul and tow whatever you want. You will have to jump through hoops in order to register it though, as you implied. The dmv requires a huge rear bumper and other safety things. On paper, you are required to go to the DMV itself for the VIN check, where they will run you through the ringer. Military trucks have to go to the actual DMV inspection for the VIN check.

Note that the satellite VIN check places, emissions stations, can do the VIN check for what they consider non-military vehicles. Reread my first sentence and the previous sentence together.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0410.htm

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won't you need a collector insurance/historical insurance policy to get the Antique plate?

If so, surely your insurance forbids use as described above.

Mike944

I've already talked to my insurance guy. He can write a commercial policy for non-commercial use for a fairly reasonable price. That's my plan there.

I've had historical plates before on cars, with normal insurance. Most collector insurance (that i've seen) limits your use so severely, it's pointless.

it WILL be for personal use. Should I put a "Not For Hire" label on the side, like I've seen on some vehicles?

I will read the statutes just to verify what skinnyR1 says, but it sounds like I have a plan. Not getting the vehicle for a week or two, so I guess i'll find out then how well it works!

Thanks,
Mike

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My point was, here in NY if you have historical plates your insurance card must say historical also.

Maybe your state is different.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Antique reg has not restrictions on use in CT. In theory you can run commercially with antique tags but for personal use pretty much anything is fair game. 20 years or older. Get a vin verification at a local garage that does them and go to Bridgeport DMV with reg, vin verification and insurance. They dont need to know it has a dump. Just an old antique truck.

skinnyR1

I think it is called "classic vehicle" reg here in CT at this point. But no, the insurance does not need to be historical. However, as long as this is not your primary vehicle, and you have a "regular use vehicle," a classic automobile policy is just fine and will be sufficient for most people.

The primary driver or purpose for people to go the classic vehicles registration route here in CT is for the tax break. Anything registered as such only has a $500 assessment. The requirement is 20 years old, and you get a tax break on your property taxes.

As for putting "not for hire" on the truck. I personally wouldn't, just because it draws attention.

Last edited:

Timeline98

So, if a VIN Verification is done locally (say at a shop that provides that service), does one need to go to Bridgeport WITH with truck to get it registered?
Can I go to my local DMV with VIN verification form, reg. form, and insurance card? Should the truck be registered Antique or Classic? Any downside to either?
Thank You

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
DMV has a list of garages that do the verification. What paperwork do you have with the truck? You don’t bring the truck to dmv. Bridgeport is easiest but the wait can be a bit longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks