• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering in Colorado

jrtoffroad

I'm happy that there are options for us to get vehicles registered, but I would like to see my home state change to a more favorable view of military vehicles. I agree that lobbying would be the place to start, although honestly I hate the thought of any lobbying or litigation being necessary.

With a number of CO issues I have to ask myself: do I try and change it, just accept where it's going, or move? Montana looks pretty good for more than just my vehicle registration some times.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm happy that there are options for us to get vehicles registered, but I would like to see my home state change to a more favorable view of military vehicles. I agree that lobbying would be the place to start, although honestly I hate the thought of any lobbying or litigation being necessary.

With a number of CO issues I have to ask myself: do I try and change it, just accept where it's going, or move? Montana looks pretty good for more than just my vehicle registration some times.
My opinion - the polarization of the culture war is only going to get more pronounced. Those places that are left leaning are going to go much harder left. Those places that aren't left, are become even less restrictive and less intrusive.

CO has chosen sides, dragged over to the left by Denver. If you have the means to bail, bail.

I faced much the same choices decades ago in CA. It's one of the (few!) choices I can look back on in life and say that i got it right.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True story, I had Nevada plates and drivers license and a for sale sign in my rear window done with stickers as in professionally made with a 702 area code. I was in Pismo beach for a week and during the week I had a run in with a cop that was telling me how to park on private property in an empty parking lot in a strip mall that I was getting ice cream and a kite to fly on the beach. Truck was big with 18” wide tires and a crew cab so I split 2 spots because if someone parked next to me I can’t get out. Got my kite and drove on the dunes and they give me a paper while paying for access and it says NO Kite flying because of a bird that was nesting. You can’t make this stuff up!
I get back to Vegas and about a few days later I get a bill in the mail from California DMV saying that I owe them money for avoiding registration. I called them mad as hell and they told me that I was reported by someone and they were following up on it. Moral of the story is a jealous neighbor or someone that can’t mind their own business will eventually report you….

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True story, I had Nevada plates and drivers license and a for sale sign in my rear window done with stickers as in professionally made with a 702 area code. I was in Pismo beach for a week and during the week I had a run in with a cop that was telling me how to park on private property in an empty parking lot in a strip mall that I was getting ice cream and a kite to fly on the beach. Truck was big with 18” wide tires and a crew cab so I split 2 spots because if someone parked next to me I can’t get out. Got my kite and drove on the dunes and they give me a paper while paying for access and it says NO Kite flying because of a bird that was nesting. You can’t make this stuff up!
I get back to Vegas and about a few days later I get a bill in the mail from California DMV saying that I owe them money for avoiding registration. I called them mad as hell and they told me that I was reported by someone and they were following up on it. Moral of the story is a jealous neighbor or someone that can’t mind their own business will eventually report you….
That sounds about right, CA wants to charge folks that are moving to another state for the loss in tax revenue, several years worth, those folks are just plain nuts.

dhaumann69166

The problem isn’t just getting plates for your vehicle. The reason the guy sold me my black Humvee is the change from on road to off road affected his loan. The state not only sent out letters to owners but also to any bank financing a Humvee. Once the banks found out about the title change they made people redo their loans and most banks wouldn’t refinance as an off road vehicle. That left a lot of people having to sell or come up with the cash to pay off their now off road only Humvee.
The Montana thing sounds good but what if I don’t have a business? Also in the state of Nebraska they are extremely strict about licensing your vehicle in this state. I know ranchers who have part of their ranch in South Dakota but their house and buildings are all in Nebraska. Sometimes they will try to register vehicles in SD because it is WAY cheaper! If you get caught by the state of NE they get pissed! Pretty sure they charge you back registration and sales tax.

Action

The problem isn’t just getting plates for your vehicle. The reason the guy sold me my black Humvee is the change from on road to off road affected his loan. The state not only sent out letters to owners but also to any bank financing a Humvee. Once the banks found out about the title change they made people redo their loans and most banks wouldn’t refinance as an off road vehicle. That left a lot of people having to sell or come up with the cash to pay off their now off road only Humvee.
The Montana thing sounds good but what if I don’t have a business? Also in the state of Nebraska they are extremely strict about licensing your vehicle in this state. I know ranchers who have part of their ranch in South Dakota but their house and buildings are all in Nebraska. Sometimes they will try to register vehicles in SD because it is WAY cheaper! If you get caught by the state of NE they get pissed! Pretty sure they charge you back registration and sales tax.
I recently saw one of those Montana titled humvees for sale. The ad stated that the company would transfer to the buyers name. That way the title could be left alone. What a mess! Lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have said it before and I guess we should at least discuss it:

Considering getting a title for your vehicle in another state? There are military vehicles that can't be titled in certain states. There are sports cars that can be titled for less in some states than others. There you go. Two simple reasons to save money - and why not!? After all, the more money you don't give the registered state or the insurance company the more money for your pocket. Maybe even enough to buy another MV or a second sports car...

I am not a lawyer. YOU do need to consider the line of lawyers lining up to take away your house, your car, your business and everything else you own IF you are in a wreck (accident, crash, insert your own words here).

Please, use your common sense and reasoning. You don't live in Montana (for example). You don't own a business there. Oh, wait yes I do! I have a shell company LLC that I setup to get around the rules in our state - where what I want to do is against the law (rules).

So, how would anybody know that I am not a legal company in that state? Ummm, lets see. What about Business Personal Property Tax (Paid Yearly). What about Sales Tax (Paid Monthly). Self Employment Tax or similar (Paid Quarterly). I didn't pay any of those taxes in that state that would register my truck.

What about insurance? Your vehicle spends almost (if not all) of its time here in (Insert YOUR State Name). You need insurance. WHO is going to PAY if you have a collision and you want to file against your comprehensive part of your insurance policy? Your insurance company - but if you have ever sat down to READ THE POLICY - they cover themselves really well with the "misrepresented or falsely represented" to the insurance company.

-----

So, I am not an attorney. I am not an insurance agent. I am definitely not the all knowing, nor am I the smartest person ever - who has never done anything wrong.

I just have to say one more time: This isn't a good way to title or tag or insure anything.

Overland123

I too am located in Colorado and am trying to purchase a M1078 LMTV from Midwest Military Supply. I have heard that Dirt Legal can provide registration services. Does anyone have experience with them? How are they different from a Montana Registered Agent?

Secondly, does anyone have experience getting a loan for a military vehicle? As far as I can tell no bank or credit union is willing to do so since they have a hard time determining the value in their systems.

Thanks!

Action

I too am located in Colorado and am trying to purchase a M1078 LMTV from Midwest Military Supply. I have heard that Dirt Legal can provide registration services. Does anyone have experience with them? How are they different from a Montana Registered Agent?

Secondly, does anyone have experience getting a loan for a military vehicle? As far as I can tell no bank or credit union is willing to do so since they have a hard time determining the value in their systems.

Thanks!
IMO, this isn’t the right hobby if you have to borrow money to buy one.
But, there is this place called govplanet. Visit their site. Click on MENU. Click on FINANCING....
I can see telling the bank loan officer that they will have to keep the title in another state. 🤨

Overland123

IMO, this isn’t the right hobby if you have to borrow money to buy one.
But, these is this place called govplanet. Visit their site. Click on MENU. Click on FINANCING....
Yes thanks, I am familiar with govplanet. Looking to get one that I know won't be too full of surprises and be ready to go. The build I'm looking at doing is pricey so that is why I ask. (gears, paint, AC, Audio etc.)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Thanks!
I don't want to bust your bubble, but with a truck that you bought and paid cash for - and the bank doesn't want to be a part of what you want to do - you might get by with it.

I think you would be better off to find a state that isn't like Colorado.
One of the free states where the state government isn't standing on your neck...

Please. Read post #27 . Legally you might get by with a title with any number of providers of those services. Your question about Dirt Legal and Montana Registered Agent ... Both do similar work to get you the papers that you want.

PROBLEM IS that when you are standing in front of a judge and jury and somebody was injured and you are at fault - you just handed them the rope to hang you with. Skirting the law is just bad for YOU if something goes wrong!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes thanks, I am familiar with govplanet. Looking to get one that I know won't be too full of surprises and be ready to go. The build I'm looking at doing is pricey so that is why I ask. (gears, paint, AC, Audio etc.)
There are companies that buy surplus and fix them. Expect 3x or 4x the cost of a GovPlanet vehicle - BUT - the folks who do that work warrant their work. Most (but not all) generally do more than squirt paint on it and send it out the door.

The old saying "putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are companies that buy surplus and fix them. Expect 3x or 4x the cost of a GovPlanet vehicle - BUT - the folks who do that work warrant their work. They also do more than squirt paint on it and send it out the door.

The old saying "putting lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.
Yes, there are a few companies that fix and resell, but there ARE companies that do just paint and flip them, and any implied warranty is crap.
Plenty of threads on here about good and bad experiences with these companies, so you just need to do your research.

jrtoffroad

I do wonder how a persons liability in an accident differs based on the state a vehicle is registered in. Assuming you have insurance that meets CO regulations; are you really any more liable in an accident if your vehicle is registered in another state? Does it matter if you just came here from that state, have been here for years, or live here but have a business within the state of registration?

I have ideas about what I think the answer 'should be' but the law and logic don't always line up.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do wonder how a persons liability in an accident differs based on the state a vehicle is registered in. Assuming you have insurance that meets CO regulations; are you really any more liable in an accident if your vehicle is registered in another state? Does it matter if you just came here from that state, have been here for years, or live here but have a business within the state of registration?

I have ideas about what I think the answer 'should be' but the law and logic don't always line up.
I am not a lawyer but I do know there is TONS of fine print in any insurance contract, I would certainly have a contract lawyer go over any contract if I was doing anything hinky as far as out of state registration, it would be a shame to end up with NO insurance coverage if it and when it was REALLY needed...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have an accident with it registered in a different state and God forbid if you had a Trump sticker on it or a social media post not agreeing with the woke. Laws don’t really matter anymore and it’s all about them finding you guilty of something and even if you beat it you are still going to be broke and if the criminal case doesn’t get you the civil will and maybe another federal trial because you did something over state lines. I’m glad my life is almost over. I don’t know how we sat around and let it get like this. I think you should be able to register it in any state and live wherever you want.

Last edited:

Action

I would guess the hmmwv being owned by a shell company would be the issue.

Lothar

Thanks!
I used Lightstream to initially finance my HMMWV. It was surprisingly easy, approved the day of application. The loan ended up being about half of what I put into the truck and I paid it off early but it did provide the extra bump I needed to get the project off the ground. They have since been bought out so not sure if it is still the same. In regards to the line of bloodsuckers trying to take property in an injury case and having Montana registration: By having the vehicle registered to an LLC, it separates your personal property from your business property. Therefore, the lawyers are limited to attempt to take the company's assets and can not touch your personal assets as you are a separate entity apart from the business. I have had my own registered LLC in Colorado since 2009. I have done plenty of out of state work sometimes more than a year at a time. During those periods, I paid no Colorado state income tax but still, quite legally, maintained a business out of Colorado. So I fail to see how income tax paid and where its paid would have any bearing whatsoever in a liability case. My business insurance for my vehicle and liability insurance for my company cover me wherever I work and the limits of coverage are and will be the limits of any damages awarded against me. Now my business is also registered in Montana and that is where this particular truck will be dispatched from as I work here in Colorado and other states.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Over the last 37 or so years I've had commercial vehicles plated in one state insured in two or three other states and operated all over the US and CANADA. For the last 20 years there have been at least 2 and some time 3 insurance policies in effect at the same time (don't ask). Set down face to face with your insurance person and make sure he knows what and where the vehicle is at and operated. You "should" be OK. My legal guy also pointed out that if I am, holding a steering wheel I am responsible, no hiding behind a LLC or CORP. If an employee screws up you are "slightly" better off, but not much. If you really want something to worry about, do you carry enough liability insurance? Many trucks on the highway today are worth over a million dollars including the cargo, 20 million is not uncommon. Think about that the next time the cell rings while driving! Just my two cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks