• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Registering my deuce in Texas

treysoucie

I recently purchased a sweet 87 m35a2 in the great state of texas. problem is the vehicle is titled in florida. The guy i purchased it from provided me with a florida sf97 form with his name on it being directly purchased from the government. I went to my local county court house here in houston, tx and the lady tells me that i need an actual Title in order to transfer it into my name. Basicaly his name is on the SF97 form and they are saying he needs to transfer it into his name first, sign the back of the title and then send it to me so i can transfer it into my name. I would like to register this truck as a normal texas truck. does anyone have any advice regarding this subject? can you transfer the title into my name using only a SF97 with the orignal purchasers signature on it?

purchase order is as follows gov-org buyer-me

Chief_919

Original buyer needs to get the title in his name using the SF-97. No way around that in most cases.

Sounds liek he is just trying to be cheap and pass the buck to you, but he is screwing you over when he does that.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diito what Chief said. If he bought it through GL it'll have a SF97 from FL (Elgin AFB to be exact). He can do a "title only," no registration, but he'll have to pay taxes on it and then you get to pay taxes again when you transfer it in to your name.

Motorcar

I would like to register this truck as a normal texas truck. does anyone have any advice regarding this subject?
I registered my Deuce last week as just a big pick up truck instead of going the former military vehicle route. I know no one has been ticketed for driving around with those plates but I didn't want any issues if I am running it to Sonic with the kids for ice cream. I got the State inspection at the quickie lube, a wieght certificate from the base along with the SF-97 and Florida title from GL, the tax girl didn't blink an eye..."here are your plates sir and the title will be mailed to your home in two weeks."

It is more expensive to go this route, the window sticker annual fees are based on wieght, 13,700 empty, plus initial taxes for the State of Texas. My out the door cost was $343.00, should be less than half of that for renewal next year. Hope this helps!

lsansone

Original buyer needs to get the title in his name using the SF-97. No way around that in most cases.

Sounds liek he is just trying to be cheap and pass the buck to you, but he is screwing you over when he does that.
that is not true in CT. there is a Q1 form called "reassignement of title" and it is used all the time, and not just by dealers, but by anyone. I used it for my m817 without any problem. I fretted about this because of many of the posts like some here. in the end they turned out to be incorrect. you can show a clear chain of ownership. the tax thing is a red herring. the original owner already paid GL the state tax. he is not going to be taxed again ( except if FL has a lower rate than texas). Dont give up easy on this one.
good luck

Last edited:

rongaudier

Has anyone tried to register a deuce as a motorhome or "housecar" in TEXAS?
I used to live in a state where converted housecars (from commercial trucks or buses) had the same registration fees as a passenger car. I'm thinking of making a camper out of my un-bobbed duece. I already have the TX title.

BIGDDV

In Texas, only a motor vehicle dealer may reasign a title without it being in their name. almost impossible to get around. the truck must be titled in the name on the sf97 then after he receives the title he can asign it to you. first question I ask on all ebay and craigslist adds is is the title in your name.
My family has been in the car business for 4 generations in Texas.

Darwin T

first, a SF97 is not a title it is the right to get a title. the SF(& goes in with the paperwork to get the title. if he still has the SF97 he does not have a title.

second, if you are going to register one as a motor home you have to have living quarters in it. there is a list of stuff you have to have(power, toilet, cooking, ect). this is what i am going to do with my M109a3.

third, if you are not planning on haulling 10,000 pounds in it the you can register it for less weight. one if my M35a2's is registered for 4,000 pounds (about $180.00) in it and the other for 10,000 pounds (about $380.00).

forth, I HAVE BEEN TOLD (check for yourself) in Texas you can go to an Insurance company and get a bonded title. it is an insurance policy that covers the truck for 2 years i think, that lets you get a title. if anyone comes and claims that it is there truck the insurance pays the policy value. after the two years you can file for a regular title.

fifth, if you can show any kind of farm reason that you can get farm plates that will save you on the plates also.

Last edited:

BIGDDV

that is right.
Texas title laws are fairly strict but with enough money almost any problem can be solved.
if you could get the sf97 reissued in your name would solve all the problems

maskale

any update on this bonded title. I have read through the texas requirements of a bonded title. sounds doable. havent actually done it yet, i will need to do it though for a M715

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not touch a truck with a SF-97 in the previous owners name; unless from one of the bill of sale states (like GA). Bonded titles (In my opinion) are the same. The selling price will be much lower if you sell.:popcorn:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bonded title is easy but expensive. All the forms are online. Costs about $400. And half your day standing in line at TXDOT and the County Tax Office.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys anyone near McAllen Texas with a Duce ?
First off...

Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :tank:

OK, now that we've got that done...

Check out the MEMBER MAP - it's found in the toolbar at the top of each SS webpage! While you're on the map, go ahead and peg your own location so others can find you as well.:driver:

Again, W E L C O M E ! ! !