• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

registration number?

two.fiveM35

I am trying to licence my truck and they said i could have the option of just using the register number of the truck. Is that the number that is painted on my bumper and tailgate (see profile picture to the left)?

Thanks Eric

jimm1009

Examples are 04J01968 or NKO4J4 or 04M1934

The registration number is not the same as the serial number.
s/n examples: 0125-12465 or 0325-54398

Louisiana allows this too as does Indiana and a few other states.

jimm1009 [thumbzup]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a picture of your Dash Data plate, the serial number is on them, sometimes(depends what version tag and when it was made)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If you will provide the manufacturer's serial number, there is about a 60% chance I can give you the correct registration number.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

jimm1009

The serial number should be stamped into the frame in one of two areas. With that information David and/or Carnac can probably help you.
Use a small steel brush and some MEK or Acetone and clean the paint in the area just to the rear of the steering gearbox mounting area and also just forward of the upper shock mount.
I personally would try the gearbox mounting area first but you should find the number and possibly the frame heat treat date too.
Don't use a grinder or a strong powered wire brush as you can actually damage the numbers. Use paint stripper and a soft steel brush kind of like a tooth brush that is available at Home Depot or Lowes or Stines.
I have a picture at home and if my wife can e-mail it to me I'll post it in an edit to this reply.
The numbers are not stamped real deep and are about 1/4 inch in height.
Let us know what you find.

jimm1009

Edit: Here is a PDF picture of the left front wheel well area where the numbers hould be stamped on the frame and a data plate for a 1967 M35A2 that has the serial number and registration number stamped into it.
The blank for serial number is actually the registration number but it came from the factory like that.

jim again

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/conversations/9593-texas-former-military-vehicle-registration.html

In Texas, use anything you want, as long as someone else hasn't already used it. Note there are restrictions on the FMV registration, similar to antique plates (if your using a collectors/antique insurance policy, probably about the same).
As Runk said, you can use anything already painted anywhere on the truck, or you can make something up and paint it on there and use it. I know one guy who used TP18! It just has to be in letters and/or numbers at least 2" tall and "a contrasting colour" (ie green on black, black on green, white on orange, whatever, your choice). I believe it can be a maximum of 6 letters/numbers.

Cheers

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
In TX it ain't the registration number it's the bumper numbers. Bumper numbers are what is in your avitar picture. Registration number and serial number will be on the data plate on the dash on the passenger side.

TX is the only state I know of that will allow you to use the BUMPER numbers as your license plate.

Cheers

two.fiveM35

Yes you are right, I may just us the bumper numbers after I find out how many digits I can use. I think I will go to the Military Museum one of these weekends and ask the guys down there how they register theirs.

mcv1964

Dash Plates - NSN & Reg # help

Can you or anyone else help me with my registration number and NSN number?

My vehicle is a 1951 M135, Serial # 3112

It was overhauled:

Pueblo C.D
Date: October 59
ODOM: 135391 or 13539

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The Stock Number could be obtained via the VIN INFO Thread. That's cause there were some older vehicles listed in there from 1971/2 era. I've found a few M38's and M715's in there in the past. It would be a very long shot to recover the registration number from there. It would have been painted onto the vehicle.