• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reliability of 6.2L engine

azpatriot

Looking at picking up an M1009. Anyone tell me about life expectancy, specific consistent issues, or how easy it is to add an AC compressor and whatever else is needed. It's hot here in AZ!

motormayhem

Well I know a lot of injector pumps need rebuilding and maybe the harmonic balancer replaced but those are both due to age. The no ac isn't to bad here in Tucson but it would be nice.

Somemedic

I couldnt agree more. While the engine has never left me stranded per se, I now have a truck with a rebuilt tranny and inj pump due to age. Cold starting in extreme winter temps can usually be overcome with a simple block heater pump or small shot of ether in the mouth of the air cleaner (be sure to have a manual glow plug button for that).

scottc

I have been running my 1008 for six years with no problems except for an IP rebuild. Not a powerhouse, but should outlast the truck with a little maintenance.

shkira

Not sure how Odiron's AC kits are...hopefully it keeps both alternators. I added AC but it was a real pain as said above. Unless you plan on doing it yourself many will offer to do the standard mod which will make it like a civ 12 V. They remove one alternator convert the system to 12V lose a battery and drop the compressor and rest of the AC system in the spot where the battery used to be.

I moved the battery over to the other side to free up the room for the AC system. I moved one alternator to the other side of the car and fabricated up some custom brackets. Then you will have to get the controls, vents, and ducts and install those inside. Since this is 100% custom also had to get all the hoses custom made. You will also have to change the heater core since the non ac version differs from the ac version. So far have had to redo the new alternator adjustment bracket since the vibration of the truck caused the bracket to crack. New one is much heftier and won't break this time. It was a pain but I think worth the result. In retrospect probably simpler to just buy an aftermarket kit but this all looks original and I get to keep the 24V system. Took a while to find all the parts but I salvaged off of Suburbans and a couple blazers. Still plenty of room under the hood.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ODI kits utilize both alternators in their factory location. It also leaves both batteries in the factory location. The one thing it does that I don't like is eliminates the blackout switched in place of a vent. I would move the switches to another panel or put them where the factory dash radio would go. Check out this thread for a couple of pics.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/25433-horton-complete-m1009.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks