• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Relocate coolant overflow in front of motor M1078

Strobi1

anyone that has relocated their coolant overflow to in front of the motor on a M1078 A0 w/ 3116 that is willing to share a sketch of the brackets they've made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ronmar

There is no room to relocate THAT tank in front of the engine. It is NOT an overflow tank it is an expansion tank. An expansion tank is integral to the cooling system and pressurized. It also has the pressure cap so it must remain as the highest point in the system to purge air and allow for adding coolant. The highest point of the main cooling loop is where the upper radiator pipe Meets the elbow on top of the thermostat housing.

An overflow tank is not pressurized and can be put in any number of places, but the pressure cap must remain at the highest point in the system to allow filling and to purge air.

I have been working on a way to relocate the expansion tank. The OEM tank won’t fit but I have been sketching out a custom tank design that has the same volume as the original tank And might be made to work in the limited space. The problem is you need to leave at least 6% of system volume as an air space to allow for coolant expansion above the highest point in the system. It will be a funky design as there is not much room above the upper radiator pipe...

Strobi1

Thanks Ronmar! I miswrote, yes the expansion tank. I've seen at least 2 guys relocate it to just infront of the engine and slightly higher then the radiator. I'm thinking they didn't have the same motor as me since on the one I remember, the intercooler pipes were off to the sides more and the stock expansion tank fit between them. On my 3116 the pipes go straight over the top which looks like it will require the tank to be too far forward causing it to hit the front of the hump. I like your idea of a custom or different tank. I may explore that option, or I may have to stretch the hump forward a bit. For now I'll concentrate on figuring out a method of unscrewing that huge cross member (I guess I may have to cut the squash nuts off). Then find a air cleaner box that I can mount low.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks