• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remanufactured M818's for sale???

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the 2002 rebuild from WPAFB from a few weeks ago. Overall it looks good but at least one head gasket needs replaced and it has a knock in it that could be an injector or a rod.

Looking at them is one thing, hearing them run or driving them is another.

Caveat emptor

cleb

treysoucie: Sorry it took so long to reply. My 818 had the following issues:

Destroyed clutch pressure plate. Needed a new flywheel (heat stress cracks, bad), Pressure Plate, and Clutch Dish.
Soft brake lines were cracked, and were replaced with new
Injector Pump leaks fuel (going to the rebuild shop soon)
Radiator had been hit by a forklift. Next on the list for replacement...
Engine would not turn over initially. Probably slightly rusted rings
All fluids needed replaced. The 818 takes over 12 gallons of gear oil, and 7 gallons of engine oil.
Some rust in various areas
Other little shenanigans in need of repair

A "Good Buy" on GL turned into something more expensive than a private party sale.... YMMV...live and learn!

Rgdl

My M818 came from Andy Cox at army6x6.com. It's a 2006 rebuild and only had approx 1,100 on the odometer when I picked it up. I got in and drove home approx 550 miles over three days without a single problem. Going through the truck you can tell that many parts have been replaced.

Armada

My truck was a toole rebuild. She has a rebuilt engine, tranny, xfere case but they didn't blast it down to metal. When I was taking mine apart and sanding it down I found the original OD green that was under everything. The wiring, and break lines are new as well.
If the body parts are bad they will bolt on new ones instead blasting, fixing, and repainting the old ones. NOS replacement parts are typically 383. I've got an '06 toole depot truck and it has all new body panels. EVERYTHING else was replaced as well. A very thurough overhaul. That said, it still had it's issues. Problems they would have found had they put more than a couple miles on it.
Good luck, but buyer beware as they say. Keep in mind what it will cost you to get the truck hauled 1200 miles if it's not driveable. Unless I absolutely knew without a doubt the running condition of the vehicle, (engine, trans, transfer, axles, shafts, brakes, steering, etc.) I think I'd be looking for something closer if it were me. Besides, those trucks in OH will go for top $$. 2cents

treysoucie

ya i think ive conceded to the fact that i will be buying locally here in texas. the rebuilds sound great but after the expense of getting it home from a 1200 mile voyage, i think id be better suited buying a local original and spending the money to rebuild and overhaul myself. plus i will know what all has been put into it, no questions as to what kind of condition things are in.

i checked out army6x6.com appears as a dead link

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks