• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remembering members

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the passing of David it got me to thinking. What about making some place on the website to post members and a few words for the ones that are no longer with us? I know whe've had a few recently and it would be a way to remember and show respect.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I agree with both of the above posts. The admins on here have done a fantastic job of upgrading this site. One more section added to the forums would not be a very hard thing to do. I know I would like to be able to see, and hear about members who were on here before i joined, but have moved on to next life. Just a thought!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I agree but instead of a few words for each member who has passed we might have to just make a list of names. A nice paragraph about it all at the begenning and then the list of names.
Th reason I say that is for example ,Davids passing , there is 190 post so far . You would have a thread 100,000 miles long.
I tried to explain what I was thinking,hope it makes sence ... :roll:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple other sites I belong to have a specific thread for these circumstances with links to the appropriate threads.

One calls their's "The Ride Home".

Another calls theirs, "Final Journeys".

There is no posting in these threads.

A suggestion could be,"The Last Command", or "The Highest Command".

Last edited:

Elwenil

I agree that we should remember them somehow. Perhaps a page on the site with their names listed similar to a war memorial? I know Mike has plenty of other things to do but perhaps it could be considered as an addition to the site in the future.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im all for the list of names. comments will drag it out, and should be reserved for a different thread. I kinda like "The Final Journey Home"

54reo

Very good idea.

I agree that a simple list of names would keep it for becoming too "full". A link to the respective threads may work (?) as well.

54reo

I know that one of the East Coast events has been named as a memorial for Ethan this year, and that is a wonderful idea.

Perhaps the Haspin rally (or another one) could be named in David's honor.

Blythewoodjoe

Gentlemen, if the accounts are not deleted, a simple link to their profile on a page with names and maybe a little info would not be too hard. I might not know what I'm talking about though.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen, if the accounts are not deleted, a simple link to their profile on a page with names and maybe a little info would not be too hard.

This was something I was thinking about also. I'm sure David would enjoy (I know I would) something that shows what he had as an MV or what he was interested in most.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Concur with this idea. Call it Taps.

I like the overall posting of the BMW site but would hope for something a little more formal and almost like an obituary with some photos.

I also agree we should not delete their threads. The info we got from the passing of at least 3 of our brothers this past year need to be timeless.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think their threads should stay on here which is just another way of honoring them and their contribution to SS but some kind of sign or symbol should be added to their avatar or elsewhere (maybe a little cross or R.I.P or their username in a distinctive dark OD colored frame ?) to let the reader know that this author has passed away.
Imagine the uncomfortable situation for a new member posting in such a thread expecting a response from the original poster and later find out... or even trying to send a PM… For example right now if somebody not knowing would try to reach Ethan the only message that appears is: “builder77 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.” :shock:

G.