• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote reservoir

Fitting on remote reservoir upgrade.

• Go get a t fitting and connect the vet line.

• The vent line isn’t needed and can hang loose.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so I’m working on the remote reservoir upgrade so I don’t have to open the inspection door all the time, and I have a question.
Does that metal line that connects to the brass fitting on top of the cylinder act as a vent line? If so the kit came with a barb fitting for the brake line hose to go from the reservoir and would preclude me from connecting that vent line.

I thought the metal line was necessary even with the remote reservoir in order to function properly, and that a T fitting would be called for. The instructions don’t address this and while I saw this was a common upgrade the instructions are not tailored to our trucks.

What say yall? Do I need to get a T-fitting or just use the barbed fitting that came with the kit?

Attachments

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so I’m working on the remote reservoir upgrade so I don’t have to open the inspection door all the time, and I have a question.
Does that metal line that connects to the brass fitting on top of the cylinder act as a vent line? If so the kit came with a barb fitting for the brake line hose to go from the reservoir and would preclude me from connecting that vent line.

I thought the metal line was necessary even with the remote reservoir in order to function properly, and that a T fitting would be called for. The instructions don’t address this and while I saw this was a common upgrade the instructions are not tailored to our trucks.

What say yall? Do I need to get a T-fitting or just use the barbed fitting that came with the kit?
I wouldnt like that hose at my feet.....id probably route it under cab and add new access in corner. Air rises, so air flows through system, it should theoretically reach your reservoir and escape if fill cap is "vented" at plastic reservoir.

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn’t want to put another hole in the floor and the metal in the inspection door is replaceable. I could make one of those doors out of sheetmetal from Lowes. I tested it and it’s far enough back I don’t even notice it there, but since you said that I may get an elbow and make it so it doesn’t arch up like that

U.S. Army Retired
M35A2

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn’t want to put another hole in the floor and the metal in the inspection door is replaceable. I could make one of those doors out of sheetmetal from Lowes. I tested it and it’s far enough back I don’t even notice it there, but since you said that I may get an elbow and make it so it doesn’t arch up like that

U.S. Army Retired
M35A2
If its nonissue to you, youre good to go! Everyone is different to say the least

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to remember that this vent line was to be disconnected at the unit level because of issues. My truck had a mushroom axle breather installed on the cap of the master cylinder.

Just disconnect that vent line, put the hose barb on the cap. Your remote reservoir lid is vented, so you are good there.
Don't forget to remove the splash shield from the cap!
Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to remember that this vent line was to be disconnected at the unit level because of issues. My truck had a mushroom axle breather installed on the cap of the master cylinder.

Just disconnect that vent line, put the hose barb on the cap. Your remote reservoir lid is vented, so you are good there.
Don't forget to remove the splash shield from the cap!
Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Splash shield? Is that what looks like the plunger?

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the original master cylinder vent line was connected to the crankcase vent line in the engine compartment…a MWO or TSB was issued to disconnect the brake vent line from the crankcase vent due to engine vapors fouling the brake fluid and master cylinders. So the majority should just vent to the atmosphere in the engine compartment…. Disconnect the vent line and either remove it entirely or just leave it be.

I prefer to mount the remote reservoir on the driver’s side firewall in the engine compartment, so it can be easily accessed and monitored.

cavtrooper78

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it installed, the vent line capped off, and the line tucked out of the way. Works great. Definitely glad I did the upgrade. Especially with how inexpensive it was.

now I need to find front marker light covers, or just switch to LEDs because I had the covers on the front bumper (because I have adhd and can’t just to one task at a time) and forgot about them. When I went to go for the test drive after finishing installing the reservoir one fell off and I ran it over. 🤦🏼‍♂️