• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Remote Spin-Off Oil Filter for the Deuce

houdel

OK, for all you folks trying to figure out how to replace those sucky upside down cartridge oil filters on your Deuce - Here is some more food for thought. Why not go with a remote spin-off filter mount (note that this extracted from my thread on the FS-2500 remote bypass filter post).

Amsoil sells a number of spin-off filter mounts. One of them, the BMK-13 for $201, combines a full flow filter and a bypass filter in a single remote mount unit. The problem, of course, is figuring out how to get rid of the old filters and install the Amsoil remote unit. The -34P manuals show a whole bunch of pieces but don't show how the oil flows through the filters and base. Seems like with a little creative injun-newity you could cut down the filter body and braze in some inlet and outlet fittings in the appropriate places for the supply and return lines for the remote filter. Anyone have any thoughts? I see some real significant advantages to a mod like this:

1. Get rid of those sucky upside down stock cartridge oil filters
2. Gain a spin-off full flow filter
3. Almost instant oil pressure when you start your engine (no oil filter drain down and then wait for it to refill on engine restart)
4. No oil running down the side of your engine when you change the filters
5. Gain a high efficiency 1 micron bypass filter, clean oil ALL the time, no soot in the oil, virtually eliminate wear on pistons, rings, bearings and crankshaft!

From what I've read, the bypass filters are pretty common on high mileage OTR trucks and allow them to run up to 80K miles between oil changes. Not that I want to or WOULD rack up that sort of milege without changing my oil, I just want save wear and tear on my engine and keep it healthy for as long as I can!

BTW, does anyone know if the stock Deuce oil filters run in series or parallel? If they run in parallel, then I guess you'd need two BMK-13s, one to replace each original filter, to accomodate the higher oil flow rate.

FYI, the Amsoil full flow filters run $15.10 - $23.00 and the bypass filters run $35.95 - $45.70 for the sizes recommended for a 15 to 30 quart system.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

Attachments

Twinpinion

I think you'll be fine with only one kit. Just install the largest filter possible. For the bypass side that's 10 inches long and 4 1/4 in diameter. For the full flow side it's almost 7 inches tall and 3 1/2 in diameter. The system will certainly filter better than the stock 40-plus year old design.

houdel

Don't know. If the original Deuce filters flow oil in parallel, as I suspect, what do you do with the second original filter? Leave it in place, flow half your oil through the BMK-13 and half through the original cannister filter? Kind of defeats the purpose of the BMK-13 spin off full flow filter. Or block off the second cannister and flow all your oil through the BMK-13? Will the BMK-13 flow enough oil to meet the engine's needs?

Help, we need someone with a good knowledge of Deuce engine lubrication to jump in here and enlighten us. Bjorn, Ken, Gerhard, where are you when we need you?

Well, Bjorn is probably on his way to Kalifornia by now. Guess I can ask Amsoil, doubt they'll be much help though.

If worst comes to worst, I guess I could just plumb the BMK-12 from a "T" on my oil sender unit and live with cartridge filters. Spin-offs would be really nice though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, trip is delayed a couple of days, something always seems to pop up and it's a "one-man" show at this point.
Anyhow, about the oil filters, you are asking the wrong guy since I have never had a problem with them. Just change them every 200-250 hrs along with an oil analysis.
For your info I'm posting the oil flow image below.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm the wrong guy too since I love the factory filtration system but consider this. The entire oil filter and cooler assy can be unbolted from the side of the engine. Perhaps one could eliminate that whole pesky assy and plumb in those top shelf filters and a remote oil cooler as well. I've never unbolted the entire assy from the block but I'm sure anyone with fabrication skills and a welder could fashion up whats necessary.

devilman96

Fabrication wise... that proably would be MUCH easyer to do... I would hate looseing that oil cooler, that would be a hard system to beat.

Spin on yes... Remote spin on and gaining faster oil psi even better... building the bypass needed to plumb it eeek!!!! I think about this every day (sad isnt it)... Somethings gonna give I just dont know what yet.

houdel

As I suspected, the stock oil filters work in parallel, so that makes this mod a little more difficult. On the bright side, Amsoil does have adapter plates for several different sized spin on filters which look like they may fit in the stock filter base. I have emailed them for more info, will update as more information is available.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the stock LDT465 design oil flow rate in gpm?

houdel

Interesting thought. If I can get the Oliver filter adapters and mate them to the Amsoil remote unit that would work great. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Prankster

Cheap spin-on adapter

I was bouncing around the internet, and I found out that "Mr. Gasket" makes a lot of spin-on adapter rings for around $12.oo

I have no ideal which one will fit a Deuce, but I like the price.