• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

remote start cranking time?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
George had a great idea to listen: how about a pair of cheap FRS handitalkies, one in the truck wired to be energized in transmit when you turn on the green switch (remotely). Or slave it to the start signal but with a delayed cut-off.

ramdough

OK... Prototype testing of the remote control is up.

Right now none of the outputs are hooked up. I figured I'd burn it in a bit before connecting everything, in case it decided to go all "Maximum Overdrive" on me.

View attachment 879988
Dumb question…..

Are you planning on remit controlling your winch over cellular? That sounds very dangerous to me.

I can only think of a couple things I would want to control remotely on the dash of my truck. On/off, start, and a diesel heater. Maybe power locks and light bar…. That it for me.

If you like automating for the fun of the project, more power to you, but for practicality, simple is usually better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guruman

Not so new member
Dumb question…..

Are you planning on remit controlling your winch over cellular? That sounds very dangerous to me.

I can only think of a couple things I would want to control remotely on the dash of my truck. On/off, start, and a diesel heater. Maybe power locks and light bar…. That it for me.

If you like automating for the fun of the project, more power to you, but for practicality, simple is usually better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Due to the lack of a real momentary option, and the fact that I don't see a need to run the winch from miles away, I'll be controlling the PTO and Winch enable switches, but not the in/out functions. For that I'll be using a wireless winch remote. I'm considering a couple of options for the actual winch controls.

I like the Tractor Supply remote I've been using for years on my Jeep. It's cheap, rugged, and I've had good luck with my old one, so I'll probably go this route.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ol-with-big-emitter-117230799--1?cm_vc=-10005

The other thing I'm looking at is an industrial style crane remote. Amazon has a few interesting ones, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/creatorele-Industrial-Control-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B06ZYWBDHM

The crane remotes have the advantage of having more buttons, which would allow me to control not only the winch in/out but also my homemade cargo crane from the same controller.

Eventually I'll be adding some amber flashing/warning/beacon lights. and some area/down lighting for general lighting when camping or working in the dark. I'll add those to the phone remote as well.

Then eventually.... I'll be converting my Mobile Workshop Container into a living/camping space and pretty much everything in there will be automated lights, water/air heaters, coffee pot, fans, maybe even a drawbridge style entry step, so I can use my Starlink internet connection to control everything no matter where it's parked. I can even use the sensors to auto start a generator or the main engine when batteries start to sag.

Guruman

Not so new member
This whole thing sounds like you need to take the tires off a Tesla and weld it to the top of your LMTV simple is better
Climbing in and out of the cab repeatedly at 51 years of age is not "simple". I'm a lifelong nerd, I'd spend considerable time and money to eliminate mundane, time consuming physical tasks like climbing in and out.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Climbing in and out of the cab repeatedly at 51 years of age is not "simple". I'm a lifelong nerd, I'd spend considerable time and money to eliminate mundane, time consuming physical tasks like climbing in and out.
I understand getting in and out of the cab 43 here and over 400 pounds not the most pleasant part, but its all part of it.

87cr250r

You can use the cell phone to initiate the sequence. You just need a more robust controller between with safe fail modes.

In my example, using the counter with alarm output to stop the start signal has a risk. If the mag pickup fails the counter will never see engine speed and the crank cycle will not terminate. There are a few options here. The controller has two relay outputs. You could put them in series and program the first relay to break the start signal if there is no RPM after a delay. You could also use an external time delay relay to break the signal after a set time regardless of what happens.

Guruman

Not so new member
You can use the cell phone to initiate the sequence. You just need a more robust controller between with safe fail modes.

In my example, using the counter with alarm output to stop the start signal has a risk. If the mag pickup fails the counter will never see engine speed and the crank cycle will not terminate. There are a few options here. The controller has two relay outputs. You could put them in series and program the first relay to break the start signal if there is no RPM after a delay. You could also use an external time delay relay to break the signal after a set time regardless of what happens.
I'm not too worried about it not starting. The relay I'm using has a built in timer that will stop cranking after x seconds.

Honestly after testing the existing starter disable setup, it actually works great. I'm hoping that after I get my ether system functioning, I can just set the crank time to 2 or 3 seconds and forget it. I might have to adjust the timing a bit depending on the season, but it's easy to do on the fly in the app. And I can still do the manual push to start cranking and push again to stop.

Not perfect, but might be good enough to not chew up the starter and ring gear, which was all I was after.

But, if it does not work well, adding one of these controllers wired with the alarm output through a 5-pin relay on the normally closed output (switching to open when the alarm activates) to cut the power to the remote control relay, will get me there with a minimum of parts and hassle. It would also have the benefit of taking the remote start relay completely offline when the engine is running. I'm not sure that's completely necessary, but it's additional piece of mind against accidental activation. Thanks again for the tip.

It'll be a while, but once I get my outputs all hooked up, I'll throw up a quick video.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks